[GeoStL] Re: Gilligan Returns

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 00:58:42 -0600

You would have to ask each one of them how much trash THEY remove on their
snake hunting trips. In the last 2 days I have picked up over 20 beer cans and
paper products. That was just at 3 different cache sites. I never walk away
empty handed. I might not clean the whole area but if I just pick up one little
item it adds up.

It's sad that they can't see a benefit to what we do. I know that there are
probably a few cachers out there that toss a can or some paper now and then but
I am sure that there are some herpetologist who have left somethin on the
trail. We should make Cache In Trash Out a part of our every day living.
Being a Boy Scout, I was always taught you leave it better than you find it. I
also teach LNT (Leave No Trace) to adults and youth. I doubt that anyone I have
ever taught will be considered "Joe Six Pack".

I wonder sometimes if the same people that disapprove of Geocaching are living
the LNT principles when they go out?

One other note, maybe we need better press on what we do for the environment
rather than always focusing on the sport itself..

Mike
The Brawny Bear

PS: I think I will be up your way the first part of next week looking for
little boxes hidden in fragile areas. I will leave my "Joe Six Pack" hat at
home... :-)