[GeoStL] Caveman Zipline

  • From: "Richard Sheffold" <GC-RGS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "freelist" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:41:46 -0500

-
This is a "must read" for those that have not rode the zipline at Meramec
Caverns and are looking forward to another chance this fall. And for those of
us that rode the zip on July 31st, it's probably good we didn't see this first.
I received this email from Walt (A & W) over the weekend. It was from a lady
that worked for him at McDonnell Douglas (Boeing).

Some of you may have already heard from others. Here's a short story of what
happened.

I wanted to take a quick vacation with the family and after William and the
kids saw a commercial on ziplining at Meramec Caverns, I decided to be daring
once and do it. I took off on Monday, August 9th and heading out there. After
climbing up the first tower, Megan and Andrew were a little scared but I kept
encouraging them if "I" could do it, they can too because I was determined to
do something daring. Keep in mind, I am scared of heights too. There are four
paths and 3 rope bridges to cross. After the first one, I felt comfortable. By
the time we got to the last one which was also the longest one, the drama
started. Megan had crossed already. When I went, I spun around and headed
towards the tower backwards. I remember them saying if you go backwards to ball
up so you don't crush your legs when hitting the tower. Luckily, I had a helmet
and it saved me some. I knew right away I impacted hard but the pole that I hit
was not padded. I was not knocked unconscious and I felt some tightness in neck
and shoulders. They gave me an ice pack. William drove home and I attempted to
call my primary phyiscian to ask for an x-ray just in case or needed a
chiropractor. It was lunch time and the answering machine was closed so we
ended up going home to grab a bite to eat. I got in contact with primary
doctor's office and they said to go to ER immediately. I ended up not eating
lunch myself. They did CT scan and immediately told me that I was lucky I was
not paralyzed and kept asking me if I had feeling. Any movement of the bones,
could have paralyzed me. I had surgery on Tuesday, August 10th. C6 was totally
crushed and my ligaments were torn. I came home on Thursday, August 12th.
Recovering at home with a neck brace. I'm sure everyone is concerned but I am
so tired and know I really should rest. Today is the first time I've been on
the laptop so I'm going back to the couch and chill-axing. I know everyone is
concerned but I do get tired talking; I do some texting just to keep busy but I
real! ly need to learn to relax and let the kids and William take care of me. I
won't be answering the doors during the days and the kids will be starting
their Freshmen year at Parkway North.

from this

 Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->