[GeoStL] Re: Caching in Alaska

  • From: Fourfeld@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:08:17 EDT

Judi,

We didn't take a helicopter ride, but my best guess is that Juneau would be a
better choice for one than Skagway because the Mendenhall Glacier is so close
to Juneau.

I don't know which cruise line you're using.  We sailed on Celebrity.  We
were able to go onto their website and book our shore excursions ahead of time.

I would guess that all the cruise lines offer a similar service.   Only
certain excursion are available at particular sites, so that should help you
decide
what activity to do where.

Icy Point / Hoonah had me confused until we got there.  Icy Point Strait is a
body of water, not a town.  Once you get there and anchor, they tender you to
the cannery, which is about 1/2 mile from Hoonah.  There are three other
towns on the island, but there are no roads connecting Hoonah to any of them.
All
of the excursions, including the whale watching, I think, operate out of the
cannery. (It's a non working cannery that has been turned into a tourist
center.)

The folks on the ship will go out of there way to make sure you get to the
right place for your excursions.  If you don't book the excursion ahead of
time,
you can do it any time after you get on the ship.  The sooner the better,
because they sometimes sell out.

Write again if you have any more questions.

Mark