[bksvol-discuss] Re: wish list book submitted

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:52:21 -0500

Oh, that one sounds really good.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Alumni Association Board
www.guidedogs.com

- Helen Keller

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:55 AM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] wish list book submitted

I have just submitted Enrique's Journey by "Sonia Nazario.

  In this astonishing true story, award-winning journalist Sonia Nazario
recounts the unforgettable odyssey of a Honduran boy who braves unimaginable
hardship and peril to reach his mother in the United States.
   When Enrique is five years old, his mother, Lourdes, too poor to feed her
children, leaves Honduras to work in the United States. The move allows her
to send money back home to Enrique so he can eat better and go to school
past the third grade.
   Lourdes promises Enrique she will return quickly. But she struggles in
America. Years pass. He begs for his mother to come back. Without her, he
becomes lonely and troubled. When she calls, Lourdes tells him to be
patient. Enrique despairs of ever seeing her again. After eleven years
apart, he decides he will go find her.
   Enrique sets off alone from Tegucigalpa with little more than a slip of
paper with his mother's North Carolina telephone number on it. Without
money, he will make the dangerous and illegal trek up the length of Mexico
the only way he can-clinging  to the sides and tops of freight trains.
   With gritty determination and a deep longing to be by his mother's side,
Enrique travels through hostile, unknown worlds. Each step of the way
through Mexico, he and other migrants, many of them children, are hunted
like animals. Gangsters control the tops of the trains. Bandits rob and kill
migrants up and down the tracks. Corrupt cops all along the route are out to
fleece and deport them. To evade Mexican police and  immigration
authorities, they must jump onto   and off the moving boxcars they call El
Tren de la Muerte-The Train of Death. Enrique pushes forward using his wit,
courage, and hope-and the kindness of strangers. It is an epic journey, one
thousands of immigrant children make each year to find their mothers in the
United States.
Based on the    Los Angeles Times    newspaper series that won two Pulitzer
Prizes, one for feature writing and another for feature photography,
Enrique's Journey    is the timeless story of families torn apart, the
yearning to be together again, and a boy who will risk his life to find the
mother he loves.

Book blog:
consented to my own ruin, to your ruin, and to the ruin of our children. I
give
John Adams
E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx

6:37 PM