[bksvol-discuss] Re: we borrow the earth

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

Good ideas, E.   When I've noticed a pattern such as
the one you describe, I sometimes get tired of
changing the words one by one and do a global change.
Then, as I continue reading, I'll find places where
the change was the wrong thing and can change them
back,, e.g., in your example, of changing u to v,
maybe qvite instead of quite, but then I can pause
from the reading and do a find and replace qvite to
quite. When I finish validating a book I always to a
spell-check and I catch any words that I've missed.
Sometimes I pause and do a Find and replace as I go
along. In the book I'm doing now, there are a lot of
capital eye's that don't belong at all--I started
doing that and there are way oo many so I gave up and
will just delete them as I come to them.

I hesitate to agree  with your second suggestion only
because some books that are very worthwhile additions
to the collection would be lost. The one I'm doing now
is a classic which has so many errors that I would
normally reject it, but it is classic and I think it
should be in the collection. Maybe a more modern
version of it could be scanned--the book that was
scanned is probably like the one I have, which is a
wartime book, printed on very thin paper, with small
print and many words on a page, so as to save paper
that was needed for the war effort. It's easy to
understand why there are so many errors, even though
the scanner probably did  the best job that she could.
 If it had been rejected before being put on the
download page, I doubt anyone would think today of
scanning it.

Cindy

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs