[bksvol-discuss] submitted for the treasure chest

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:32:29 -0500

I have had this book on my flash card since it came out.  Enjoy, I know I did.
Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
Thirteen chapters provide a monthly snapshot of Jason Taylor's life in
small-town England from January 1982 to January 1983. Whether the
13-year-old narrator is battling his stammer or trying to navigate the social
hierarchy of his schoolmates or watching the slow disintegration of his parents'
marriage, he relates his story in a voice that is achingly true to life. Each
chapter becomes a skillfully drawn creation that can stand on its own, but
is subtly interwoven with the others. While readers may not see the
connectedness in the first two thirds of the book, the final three sections
skillfully
bring the threads together. The author does not pull any punches when it comes
to the casual cruelty that adolescent boys can inflict on one another, but
it is this very brutality that underscores the sweetness of which they are also
capable.
Note: this book is written in English slang, so your spell-check will have
difficulties with this book. However, the text is excellent.

Book blog:
I     have accepted a seat in the House of Representatives, and thereby have
John Adams
E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx