[bksvol-discuss] Re: rescanning fair books

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:17:43 -0500

Jill,

You're probably thinking of cleaning up a book which is in the collection
instead of rescanning a Fair book.  If you want to rescan a book, then just
mention that it's a rescan in the comments when you submit it to prevent
confusion over there being a copy already on Bookshare.  The only reason I
know of to inform Gustavo would be if the book is rated Excellent due to an
oversight during validation, like the previous submitter and validator not
spotting missing pages or missing words throughout the book.  You'd want to
let Bookshare know about the problem as well as that you plan to correct it
by rescanning the book.  That would allow Bookshare to downgrade the rating
to help prevent a validator from rejecting your rescan because there is a
copy already on Bookshare which is rated Excellent.

I've heard volunteers say that if you want to clean up a book which is in
the collection that all you need to do is convert the HTML file produced by
the Unpack tool to RTF, clean up the book, and resubmit it.  I also seem to
remember seeing books from the collection kicked back to the Step 1 page by
either Marissa or Gustavo for cleanup with a note to hold for a particular
volunteer.

I asked Gustavo back in July how rescans and cleanups of books in the
collection should be handled, but he never answered my e-mail, so I can't
say for sure what Bookshare's policy is.

HTH

Gerald