[bksvol-discuss] please page break, please!!

  • From: "Rui Cabral" <rui@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:34:06 -0500

Good evening fellow booksharians:

The biggest issue with non-pagebreaked books is the lack of navigation.
  in validation a book with no breaks and no page #s is extraordinarily
difficult to work with because short of reading the whole book (not practical
or efficient) there is no way to check for completeness. you could have 10
pages missing in the middle and you would never know.
at least with page numbers, if the book is of excellent quality i will take the
time to
insert the breaks.
for instance, i validated a book with page breaks and numbers last night within
20 minutes.
it was a superb scan and was easy to confirm that everything was there.  if it
had no #s or no breaks, i might still be working on it.

Also, once validated and in the collection, page breaks make a book much easier
to navigate through. the soft breaks that ms word puts in are of little value
because those are dependant on the margins set in your particular program.

well i'm going to go back validating, i wanna hit 20,000 (with high quality
tscans)

-- Rui
 Bookshare.org Unofficial Volunteer Scanning Page
http://members.cox.net/booksharescans