[bksvol-discuss] need help learning to validate and use open book

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:06:44 -0400

Dear Volunteers,

Computer terminology frazzles my mind. I've saved hundreds of instructive posts from this list about the various stages in submitting or validating books for bookshare, but I haven't been able to assimilate the information on my own.

I have time, a love for books, and am a good proofreader having read braille for 50 years, since first grade. I do download books on my computer for Jaws to read and in brf format which I transfer and read on the 32 cell refreshable braille display on my braille note.

I really need help off list to understand how to download and upload and everything in between because I'd love helping to add books to the collection. While it's true I'm not talented at learning from computer manuals, I learn instructions that are explained to me or given as I go along. I don't have access to formal computer training, but am accurate and proficient at skills which have been explained to me, like managing e mail, searching on the web, enjoying all kinds of websites like Amazon, yarn shops, hobbit fan fiction and Scottish traditional songs, saving in folders and files, and cutting copying, and pasting. I know those are just kindergarten skills, but I really make the most of them.

Would anyone be willing to help me off list? Amber Robert and Shannon volunteered but they have different technology so they do things differently than I would have to do them. They can vouch for me that I'm not a pest and appreciate any help whether it is occasional and ongoing or a one time session. I need help from someone who uses jaws, windows XP, Open Book 7, and a braille note with the latest upgrade.

My e mail address is

airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

With Appreciation and Hope,

Lissi