[bksvol-discuss] Re: mathematical symbols

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 07:32:58 -0500

Hi all,

Original message:
I know it needs to be worked on at a technical level. My suggestion
is just a quick fix in case a specific person needs this book for a class.

I also thought the point of the grant is producing education-related texts.

Surely bookshare will have to deal with production of math and
technical symbol if bookshare plans to produce books about science,
economics, statistics, mathematics and a myriad of other books for
the educational component of bookshare.

Perhaps staff will weigh in on the discussion. It seems a crucial
discussion to me.

It is indeed, E., that is huccum I wrote what I did. We want these books to be the best they can be, and therefore, a quick and dirty fix may not be a good idea for the long term. I distinctly remember something about technical notation in that speech by Fruchterman. There's a whole lot of information on this subject in various places, most notably on the EASI site and also sites which mention the work of John Gardner the physics prof from Oregon State. Oh, yeh, and the DOIT site, also from Oregon, hmmm, can't remember the lady's name off-hand but they were doing work with teens and getting them to careers in math and engineering and science. I think this is one of the areas that Bookshare may have to explore soon, but not sure how or where they are in the process. If my memory isn't faulty, and Fruchterman did indeed mention this in his talk, then Bookshare staff are already in the planning stages for gearing up to solve this problem.

I'd be really interested to see if my recollection is right. I'm interested in the various types of notation that's come out to encompass this subject.

Ann P.

E.

--
Ann K. Parsons