[bksvol-discuss] Re: italicized words.

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:10:26 -0500

Hi,
Braille uses dots 4-6 to emphasize words. They call it italics, but I've
seen it used for bold too.

Jim

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"it is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis." --
Margaret Bonnano

             "Grandma Cindy"
             <popularplace@yah
             oo.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo                                          cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] italicized words.

             01/28/2008 10:16
             PM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

Oh, it's too bad that neither Braille nor Daisy
emphasizes italics. I figured Braille probably
wouldn't, but I thought a reader--I assumed,perhaps
erroneously, that Daisy is auditory--would.

Usually an emphasis is "in" a sentence even if the
word isn't italicized. When I'm reading and I hear,
mentally, the emphasis I check the print book to
see--sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. In this
particular book there are more than usual because of
the personality of the person "speaking." Ah,
well...I'll put them in for nonblind members. And as
Evan says, maybe eventually other boookshare
technology  will be able to translate them. Something
for young engineers like Jake to work on. smile

G.Cindy