[bksvol-discuss] Re: identifying books from download list

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:51:55 -0600

Mike,
I don't think the decision BookShare is facing has anything at all to do with
for whom the scans were prepared, oneself or others. It has to do with the
quality that will be accepted, whether we're referring to text or
page  breaks or anything else that can be viewed as having an impact on
quality. There aren't any legal ramifications at all if BookShare  decides to
change its standards. The assumption that people who scan for
themselves alone will produce poor quality is false. They may. But they may
also produce that same quality and send it on for others. And the same is true
for excellent quality.   I know plenty of people who clean
books they scan before reading them themselves. True, I'm not talking about a
thorough line by line edit. But I am talking about cleaning out junk
characters, spell checking, checking for completeness etc. I know I
do that with everything I scan before I read it myself, because I read using
the Book Courier, not something I can edit on. and I don't want to hear a bunch
of junk when I'm reading, whether the book is a serious tome
or a light mystery or sci-fi book.
Mary