[bksvol-discuss] Re: do I reject

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:25:25 -0500

Normally you would reject anything that specifically stated that it was an electronic book, because that would usually mean the submitter took it from another source and is ileagally submitting it as if they scanned it themselves, but ... I almost rejected something that was given to bookshare by a university. Books scanned by certain organizations, most often universities, are acceptable and may contain such a notice. The best thing to do is to ask the bookshare staff in an E-mail, or by means of the comment field in the upload form, if this book is one of those acceptable electronic copies. The announcement about being for the blind tends to make me think it is, but you need to make sure.

Here is the text of the message Marissa sent me about that mistake. :-)

Hi Sarah,

If it's a proprietary e-book, it should have something specific about
the book being produced as an e-book. To stay on the safe side, if it's
not submitted by jim Marks, please let me know so I can follow up with
the submitter.

Thanks,
Marissa

Sarah Van Oosterwijck Assistive Technology Trainer http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity