[bksvol-discuss] Re: books for children erroneously rated "good"

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:38:26 -0600

Elizabeth,  no need to be so pessimistic.  I just downloaded "Working". It
has a Kurzweil quality rating of 99.8% text accuracy, with only 2 words
not in the dictionary.  By copy of this note,  I am asking Claire to
change its rating to excellent.

Thanks,

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/22/2008 02:39 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] books for children rated "good"

There is a book called Working on the new books list.  It's audience
is certainly children. The book is listed as being thirty pages long
and having a "good" rating. What kind of book can end up with a
rating of "good" and be thirty pages long? You would think a
validator could spell check thirty pages.

I am particularly concerned at finding books directed at children
with less than "excellent" ratings. This is the group who are often
learning braille and who may take part in the co-operation of AFB's
Braille Bug. Surely we can give them something better than "good"!!!

E.