[bksvol-discuss] Re: Screenreaders

  • From: "David" <davidc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:14:06 -0800

Given your criteria, if all I wanted was to read brf books, and nothing
else, I would go with the bookworm unless 8 braille cells bothered me. The
Bookworm is just an ascii book reader. With only 8 braille cells, it is less
expensive than any of the other options, and much less prone to any sort of
crashes. Also, I believe you get much better battery life than any of the
other options.

My second choice would be the older braille lite 40 since the platform is
much more stable than almost anything else.

I too upgraded to a melinium unit and downgraded back to my braille lite 40
after 30 days of dealing with the bugs. I did not upgrade again until the
second generation of the PacMates.

If you really want to evaluate the PacMate vs the Braille Note, sign up for
both mailing lists and read the messages. This will tell you more about
overall stability, what problems each is really having, and what options are
available and planned. The PacMate mailing list can be subscribed to at

www.pacmategear.com

and the Braille Note list can be found, I think, at

www.pulsedata.com

As for GPS, the Destinator package is now in beta testing for the PacMate
and will hopefully be out next month. Of course, any product which is not
actually available yet is still vaporware. However, at a total cost of
between $400 and $600, it is less than half the price of any other option
available when it is actually released.

Another problem with the PacMate is there is no auto scroll feature for just
braille. There is a way around this, but I would prefer the auto-scroll;
just as many braille users. That said, the wizwheels are really useful.