[bksvol-discuss] Re: Horror Wishes

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 01:51:43 -0700

Hi, Scott, when it comes to fiction, I view horror with great care and a bit
of squeamishness as I really don't care to scare myself out of my wits or
feel nauseated. I remember reading a novel by Ramsay Campbell, but if I were
to read horror, I like the sort where good folks aren't killed. I don't mind
when rotten characters have a comeuppance for there rotten actions. I'd say
it satisfies my sense of justice. When reading the collection entitled The
Year's Best Fantasy and Horror, I liked stories by Kim Newman. I think I
like stories where good manages to prevent evil from taking over because I
think we need reassurance. I know that life is unfair and the world can be
crazy and I'm being unrealistic, but that's just me. I really don't care for
splatterpunk stuff or anything too gory. I think what scares me is more the
psychological stuff. Vampires are creepy but make me think they're not sexy
and just eating blood can be unhygienic (how does a victim insure that the
vampire didn't have rabies?) I'm tired of zombies but wouldn't want to be
one. I don't know if this helps you out. I've read some stuff by M. R. James
and have heard stuff by H. P. Lovecraft (the guy was great in building up to
something and let you imagine the icky stuff). Regards, Kim Friedman. P.S.:
If you scan mysteries, science fiction, fantasy, I'll be glad to proofread
for you. I'm not sure I'd do horror for reasons stated above, i.e.,
squeamishness, not wishing to have a disturbed sleep, and a dislike of too
much gore. K.

  _____