[bksvol-discuss] Re: Funny Scanno

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:25:36 -0800 (PST)

That is the fault of the validator. But that also
should be redone--Did you mention the title? Maybe, as
I think you said, that was done a long time ago,
before everyone becamse more careful.

I just validated a near-perfect scan. Only one word
was incorrect--denning instead of defined. And in that
particular case, unlike the rabies and emeralds, it
would have been impossible from the context to tell
what the word should have been. Other than that one
word, there were a few extraneous letters at the very
end of pages--not more than 5 or 6--but they would be
annoying to a reader, I think. But the book would rate
an Excellent, very few errors, even if I hadn't read
and validated it. I just made an Excellent book even
more Excellent.

Now I've started a book that, so far, has tons of
italicized words. They didn't scan as italicized, but
they are necessary to get the flavor of the
personality of the narrator and story. I assume that
Daisy and perhaps also Braille read italicized words
with the emphasis the author wants.

G.Cindy
--- Cindy Ray <cindyray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, I'm not validating it. I am reading it and
> it has been
> validated. But my comments were not about this one
> alone. Some of them
> were a little general. Such as my comments about the
> infamous
> stripper--you know the one--<Giggle>--this is the
> second book I've
> read that has headings on each page. I could see
> good reason after
> reading these to get rid of these and to take out
> end-of-line hyphens.
> But I am also concerned about the garbage I have
> seen in this
> particular and some other books. I think part of
> what I was saying was
> the value of reading the books even though it might
> sometimes be a
> pain. Sure not trying to get people to. And also
> there is value in
> reading them when scanning and doing what you can to
> get out the
> rabies so that you don't have to rub your body with
> expensive
> emeralds. Who can afford it. I'm taking an
> ordination exam, so you
> have to excuse me. I feel a little reflective and a
> lot silly.
>

> Cindy Lou Ray. Each day is a new adventure.

at
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/