[bksvol-discuss] Re: Difficult scan

  • From: "Christine Parsons" <christine-parsons@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:39:20 -0600

G. Cindy and all,

G. Cindy wrote:
"But you mentioned transliteration, which to me means word for word
translation, and then the poetry wouldn't be poetry, would it?"

No, it wouldn't. It actually turns into something a bit like a paragraph.
Each line is translated word for word into English, so it loses the rhyme,
meter, etc. of poetry. Then it's my job to make it poetry again. I'm taking
a college class on translation, and we're supposed to take the original and
the transliteration and use them to construct an English translation of the
original poem (in poem form) that is as close to the style and meaning of
the original as possible.

Thank you so much for the list of books from the collection. I will
definitely check them out.

Christine