[bksvol-discuss] Book submitted: Secrets of the Shopping Mall

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 13:29:51 -0500

Book submitted under the .rtf section of the website.  Should be a easy
validation.  There are no headers, all junk as far as I could find was
removed.  Though it hasn't had a spell check done.  It is a really amusing
book.  Anyway for those who are interested.

Secrets of the Shopping Mall
By Richard Peck

From the Book jacket:
Eighth-graders Barnie and Teresa are sick and tired of their troubled life
at home. So with only four dollars between them, they hop a bus and head for
Paradise Park. But Paradise Park turns out to be a huge suburban shopping
mall-not quite what they were expecting.
Four dollars doesn't last long and Barnie and Teresa get stuck in the mall.
They spend their days and nights in the climate-controlled consumer paradise
of a large department store. But just when they think they can live there
unnoticed forever, they find that even Paradise Park has its secrets. Even
in the dead of night, they are not alone....
"[Peck] pokes fun, exposes hypocrisy, and treats with refreshing humor
subjects too often talked to death. It's not a pretty place Mr. Peck shows
us, but he makes us laugh at ourselves and wonder what is going on in the
marketplaces of our society."         -The New York Times Book Review
"The author's deft handling of dialogue, inventive plot, and action-filled
sequences make a highly engrossing and effective combination'.'
-Booklist
RICHARD PECK is one of the most highly acclaimed and popular writers of
fiction for young people. His many award-winning novels include the Blossom
Culp books The Ghost Belonged to Me, Ghosts I Have Been. The Dreadful Future
of Blossom Culp, and Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death, available in
Yearling and Laurel-Leaf editions. Mr. Peck lives in New York City.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com