[bksvol-discuss] Re: BAEN BOOKS

  • From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:23:26 -0500

If I scan a Baen book, do I submit or not?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Claire O'Brien" <claire.o@xxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "Jim Fruchterman" <Jim.F@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Lisa Friendly" <lisa.f@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Jake Brownell" <jake.b@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: "Carrie Karnos" <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>; "Mandy Throckmorton" <Mandy.T@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:28 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] BAEN BOOKS

Hi Everyone,

Recently the subject of Baen books has shown up on the discussion lists.

The decision regarding Bookshare.org policy regarding Baen books is
this:
Bookshare.org staff will be responsible for coordinating the bulk add of
Baen content to the Bookshare collection.

These books may require some mark up, and to ensure they are done
consistently; we've made the decision to process them in-house.

We ask that our volunteers continue to submit books that they have
personally scanned.

Sincerely,

Claire O'Brien
Collection Development Manager
Bookshare.org

Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 11:51 PM
To: bksvol-discuss digest users
Subject: bksvol-discuss Digest V5 #9

bksvol-discuss Digest Mon, 07 Jan 2008 Volume: 05  Issue: 009

In This Issue:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: pages missing
[bksvol-discuss] Romance Book club Meeting
[bksvol-discuss] Re: atonement
[bksvol-discuss] OT: Sing-A-Long "Grease"
[bksvol-discuss] hope springs eternal
[bksvol-discuss] Re: books available from others
sources--of
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Sing-A-Long "Grease"
[bksvol-discuss] Re: books available from others
sources--of
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen Books?
[bksvol-discuss] Re: More kids series
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen Books?
[bksvol-discuss] Re: sorry
[bksvol-discuss] Re: just uploaded
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Sing-A-Long "Grease"
[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Sing-A-Long "Grease"
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen Books?
[bksvol-discuss] Baen books again - how do we submit
them?
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss]  Is it to soon to start scanning?
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice -- EPSON
GT-2500
[bksvol-discuss] Just submitted
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice -- EPSON
GT-2500
[bksvol-discuss] Another submission
[bksvol-discuss] Another submission
[bksvol-discuss] Adult Content from NLS, interesting
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
the
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is it to soon to start scanning?
[bksvol-discuss] Submitted: Matrix Energetics
[bksvol-discuss] One last submission
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Star Wars books
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Star Wars books
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is it to soon to start scanning?
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
the
[bksvol-discuss] Re: pages missing
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is it to soon to start scanning?
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
the
[bksvol-discuss] Hooked On Books Is Back Tomorrow,
Tuesday,
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
the
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
the
[bksvol-discuss] 16 Lighthouse Road
[bksvol-discuss] tables converting to text Jamie's great
tip
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
the
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Clarification on Tables
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit
[bksvol-discuss] Re: 16 Lighthouse Road
[bksvol-discuss] Re: tables converting to text Jamie's
great
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Wish List and other books I have
scanned an
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wishlist Request
[bksvol-discuss] Trouble on the Site
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Is it to soon to start scanning?
[bksvol-discuss] Re: 16 Lighthouse Road
[bksvol-discuss] Thank You

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:03:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: pages missing

Grace,

I put in a request for Savage Skies. The other two are
not in my lbiraries. I see from checking Amazon that
they are Harlequin romances. If they were submitted by
you-know-who and are in the shape that you describe,
the best thing to do, though they sound like delicious
reading, is to reject them. If Savage Skies is
submitted by the same person, I suggest you reject
that, too, and if you do, please let me know and I'll
cancel the request.

G.Cindy

--- Silvara <silvara@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Folks:

I am validating 3 books and all 3 have pages missing
or pages need rescanning or both.

Savage Skies by Cassie Edwards, The Knight's
courtship by Joanne Rock and the Venetian's Mistress
by Anne Elizabeth Cree.  If someone could get the
books and scan these pages then these books can
finally be off step 1.

Thanks.

Grace

WISH LIST (called Requested Additions To The Bookshare Collection)is
available at
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/

____________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

------------------------------

From: "Susan" <slumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Romance Book club Meeting
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 02:20:07 -0600

Happy New Year Everyone From Grace and Susan,

We hope you'll join us on the 3rd Friday of January for the first
meeting
of the Romance Book Club in 2008. We'll be discussing A Cinderella
Christmas: (An American Romance) by Shelley Galloway as well as
recommending
a book for the February meeting.

Synopsis: When Morgan finds himself suddenly dateless for his company's
Christmas ball, he asks the woman who cleans his office. But the fairy
tale
evening falls apart when his ex-girlfriend shows up... Guess we weren't
completely able to let go of the holidays quite yet! Hope you'll join
us.

Date: Friday, January 18, 2008

Time: 6 P.M. Pacific, 7 Mountain, 8 Central, 9 P.M. Eastern and Saturday
GMT
02:00.

Where: Just point your web browser to the following address:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:22:52 -0500
From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: atonement

Because it was done before NLS made it available or started before NLS
made
the book available, or because it was required for a class where
specific
asignments covering specific pages needed to be done would be my two
best
reasons why duplication is worth it.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] OT: Sing-A-Long "Grease"
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:37:38 -0800

What a hoot! Many of audience in costume, which my friend described to
me. I
wasn't able to see the lyrics scrolling by, but remembered about half of
the
songs. When we went in, we were handed a small bag of props to use
during
certain scenes. A woman in an old formal dress went up and explained the
process, props, what to use when, various things and did some practice
signing with us.  She also explained about "chair-ography." Like
choreography for dancers. But when doing the hand jive and a few other
movements we had to keep them small or we'd jab the people beside us. So
we
have several run throughs of "chair-ography." Young John Travolta. It
was
obvious where Saturday Night Fever started here first. And some of the
names... One of the song writers was Barry Gibb of the BeeGees, we were
easily able to identify which songs. On one song, the lead guitarist was
peter Frampton. Sid Caesar was the then-younger athletic coach. He
showed up
in Seattle when the musical Hairspray was being developed before going
Broadway. There was Eve Arden as school principal, and friend and I were
racking our brains for title of TV show she'd been in. We knew our moms
would know, even through the dementia both suffer. But finally my friend
remembered "Our Miss Brooks," and she was a secretary. It was a very
early
version of "Mary Tyler Moore" show or Marlo Thomas in "That Girl." Funny
that now John Travolta is in movie "Hairspray."  Now I want the
sing-a-long
version of "The Sound of Music" to return. That was even more fun!

Liz, hoarse from singing along, off-key as usual

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] hope springs eternal
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:39:02 -0800

Still hoping for a good and fixed scan of Wheelock's Latin.....

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:54:39 -0500
From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: books available from others
sources--official

I'm still not clear on whether that means porting over the rtf or buying
the
book and scanning.  Perhaps I'm not awake yet.  <sigh>

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 04:00:38 -0500
From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice

I hope you're not jumping the gun.  Epsons have been highly regarded for
long time, at least the Perfection line.

What model Epson?
Also, have you discussed this with the k1000 tech support people?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Siobhan" <littlesailorgirl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Siobhan" <littlesailorgirl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 04:03:34 -0500

Gary, Nick from the otherlist tried and tried to help me withit, I got
so
frustrated I quit.  Lok, the installation disk after clicking continue
is
inaccessible, all I know is i have an ipson perfection 1260 whether or
not
its a phone I don't kno.  I've also had it seven years, it was a freebie

from dell years back hen I gt this desktop.  Befre that, I had a UMax
scanner that once installed took so long the tech woman said youwon't
ned
it, ook it,nd when I had a major reformat later, I ended up with a paper

weight.  so that's why I won't go for an eopson again.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all.  I'm ditching my old epson, and would rather not use them
again.
they're ok for printers, but I can't instal the one I had with out
help,
so
unless epson wised up, I don't want to get another one.  I'm not a
brand
hog, I just want a fast scan using k1000 not a huge one so it won't
take
up
room, pretty quiet, and not that expensive.  As for where to buy, I
have
twenty dollars off one hundred if I spend at staples, but that's fine
if i
go somewhere else.  I'll go anywhere and if it's an online merchant i
haven't heard of, just let me know it's safe because you've shopped
there
and I'll be happy.  I've dealt with credit card fraud to many times to

count
last year, I'd rather not do it again.  There's no rush so just let me

know.
Thanks all.
Siobhan

1/6/2008
11:57 AM

list
line.

------------------------------

From: "Scott Blanks" <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 01:09:37 -0800

Most Epsons can be installed without using the installation cd. You can
download drivers for the device from the Internet. I'm not saying this
is
easy, but just wanted you to know that there are alternatives. Epsons,
in my
opinion, and in the opinion of many others, are great scanners.

Scott

[...]

269.17.13/1211 - Release Date: 1/6/2008 11:57 AM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 01:31:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>

I've been very happy with mine. But the more recent
one I got, which was on sale, is not as complete as
the other one, and I'd have to download the rest and
pay for it. But since I'm not scanning complete books
any more it's fine for my needs.

G.Cindy

--- Scott Blanks <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Most Epsons can be installed without using the
installation cd. You can
download drivers for the device from the Internet.
I'm not saying this is
easy, but just wanted you to know that there are
alternatives. Epsons, in my
opinion, and in the opinion of many others, are
great scanners.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Siobhan" <littlesailorgirl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Gary, Nick from the otherlist tried and tried to
help me withit, I got so
> frustrated I quit.  Lok, the installation disk
after clicking continue is
> inaccessible, all I know is i have an ipson
perfection 1260 whether or not
> its a phone I don't kno.  I've also had it seven
years, it was a freebie
> from dell years back hen I gt this desktop.  Befre
that, I had a UMax
> scanner that once installed took so long the tech
woman said youwon't ned
> it, ook it,nd when I had a major reformat later, I
ended up with a paper
> weight.  so that's why I won't go for an eopson
again.
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>
advice

>>I hope you're not jumping the gun.  Epsons have
been highly regarded for a
>>long time, at least the Perfection line.
>>
>> What model Epson?
>> Also, have you discussed this with the k1000 tech
support people?

>> ----- Original Message ----- >> From: "Siobhan" <littlesailorgirl@xxxxxxxxxxx>

- Release Date:
>> 1/6/2008
>> 11:57 AM
>>
>> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email
>> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the
subject line.  To get a list
>> of available commands, put the word 'help' by
itself in the subject line.

> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email
> put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the
subject line.  To get a list
> of available commands, put the word 'help' by
itself in the subject line.

> -- > No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 /
Virus Database:
> 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date: 1/6/2008 11:57 AM

WISH LIST (called Requested Additions To The Bookshare Collection)is
available at
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/

____________
Be a better friend, newshound, and

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 01:32:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Sing-A-Long "Grease"

It sounds like a lot of fun. There was a theater in
L.A. where they did the same thing at nighttime shows
with Rocky Horror Picture Show. Fortunately, it played
for years, so when my girls were finally old enough we
took them.

G.Cindy

--- liz halperin <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]
developed before going to

From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
sources--official att
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 04:44:22 -0500

That is the one publisher where the RTF books can be ported so long  as
you
make sure that those submitted RTF files conform to rest of
Bookshare.org's
submission guidelines.

Regards,

Pratik

[...]

of

------------------------------

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen Books?
From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:36:19 -0500

Hi,
Would they not need a grade 2 translator?

Jim

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change
the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

            "E."

            <thoth93@earthlin

            k.net>
            Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

            bksvol-discuss-bo
cc
            unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject
                                      [bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen Books?

            01/04/2008 11:10

            PM

            Please respond to

            bksvol-discuss@fr

               eelists.org

If a deaf blind person is using a rtf file with a braille display the
rtf will showup as grade two braille.

E.

At 01:38 PM 1/4/2008, you wrote:

So we can make BRF books for the deaf-blind?

Jim

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change
the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "Ann Parsons"
             <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx

             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo
cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen
Books?

             01/04/2008 01:33
             PM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

Hi all,

Why put Baen books on Bookshare?  Baen books are free to the blind.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

list
of

subject
line.

http://www.eset.com

of

------------------------------

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: More kids series
From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:38:14 -0500

Hi,
I will help validate any that come through?

From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:38:59 -0500

No.  The screen reader or the note taker takes care of grade 2
translation
on the fly.

From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:42:55 -0500

Hi Maithe,
My prayers are with you.

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: just uploaded
From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:46:31 -0500

Hi,
I think I saw this title on step one before. I could be wrong though.

Jim

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change
the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

            "Phyllis Stevens"

            <catlady1949@comc

            ast.net>
            Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

            bksvol-discuss-bo
cc
            unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject
                                      [bksvol-discuss] just uploaded

            01/05/2008 08:17

            PM

            Please respond to

            bksvol-discuss@fr

               eelists.org

     Home with God in a life that never ends Neale Donald Walsch

Excellent book.  Already read the others and was glad for this one.
Phyllis, Emmy dog, and
the kitties, Simon and Sarah

catlady1949@xxxxxxxxxxx

This is also my MSN address.
of

------------------------------

From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:22:05 -0500

me too, My epson 1660 is still trucking along, after now, what three
years
of use, and I put it through its paces, smile.

Will be sad when this guy goes.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Alumni Association Board
www.guidedogs.com

- Helen Keller

----- Original Message ----- From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 05:22:59 -0800

This is about 9 blocks down the street from me....

"The Clinton Street Theater has been showing the Rocky Horror Picture
Show
every Saturday night (except for foul weather, holidays, etc.) since
April
1978.

Bring your rice, the toast, the G-String, and come on down to the
longest
running RHPS in the WORLD!"

30 years... For $6, a real deal.
liz

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:24:57 -0500

Ah, smile.

I have been to that form of movie before with the Rockie horror Picture
Show, smile, a blast with a lot of fun.  Would love to join in the
Greece
version.

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 08:43:20 -0500
From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Lots of us load .rtf files into notetakers all the time when we
validate. They come up in grade 2 braille. Notetakers have the
translator built right in.

E.

At 01:38 PM 1/4/2008, you wrote:

>So we can make BRF books for the deaf-blind?
>
>Jim
>
>James D Homme, , Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
>james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810
>
>"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change
the
>world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead
>

>              "Ann Parsons"
>              <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>              >
>              Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>              bksvol-discuss-bo
cc
>              unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
>                                        [bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen
Books?

>              01/04/2008 01:33
>              PM
>

>              Please respond to
>              bksvol-discuss@fr
>                 eelists.org
>

>Hi all,
>
>Why put Baen books on Bookshare?  Baen books are free to the blind.
>
>Ann P.
>
>--
>Ann K. Parsons
>Portal Tutoring
>EMAIL:  akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>http://www.portaltutoring.info
>"All that is gold does not glitter,
>Not all those who wander are lost."
>
>Email services provided by the System Access Mobile Network.  Visit
>www.serotek.com to learn more about accessibility anywhere.
>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
list
of
>available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
line.

>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the
subject
line.

>http://www.eset.com

list of

subject line.

http://www.eset.com

------------------------------

From: "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Baen books again - how do we submit them?
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:59:11 -0500

Ok, with all this talk I am just curious about how we would go about
submitting them.  The Baen books I have read none of them had page
breaks or
page numbers and no Copyright info included.

Is this something that Jim and the Bookshare staff are going to work on?

------------------------------

From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:08:35 -0600

Hi Guido,
Is this a legal-sized scanner? I looked at the specs a bit and see that
the document feeder is, but is the scanning bed itself? Thanks, I'm
planning for the inevitable demise of my beloved hp4c.
Kellie

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 06:45:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Anastasia Saridakis <anamatia81@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss]  Is it to soon to start scanning?

I did some research and I found 2 different books on the VA Tech
tragedy. I am from MD and my brother graduated from Tech in 2005. One of
the students who was killed had a father who taught at the school. My
brother took his class. This subject is very close to my heart. My
question is: is it too soon to put such a book on the site? Anyone on
the list from the area too? Thank you.
Anastasia

---------------------------------
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try
it now.

------------------------------

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice -- EPSON GT-2500
From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:29:28 -0600

No,  the flatbed of the GYT-2500 is standard letter size.  The feeder
may
accept legal sized documents.  If I recall correctly,  the feeder also
supports duplex scanning, that is scanning on both sides of a page. . .
great for scanning magazines and books that have been 'deboned'--or have

been rendered 'spineless'.
G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who

were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being
wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
01/07/2008 08:08 AM
Please respond to

From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger25@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Just submitted
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:30:55 -0600

Hi, all.

I have just submitted, for your validating pleasure, All The Wrong
Places by
Karin Kallmaker. This is a lesbian romance, and definitely contains some

adult content. It is in .rtf format, and headers have been removed. The
synopsis is below.

Brandy Monsoon is looking for love. Since there's never a shortage of
casual
playmates at the tropical resort where she works, most of the time she
gets
it, too. And if Brandy tires of the perpetually curious - but primarily
straight - women, there's always her best friend Tess for a friendly
encounter...

When an all-lesbian tour group arrives for a week, Brandy is sure she'll
be
in-paradise on earth. Among the guests is lesbian celebrity comic Celine

Griffin, who has an obvious interest in an after-dinner Brandy. Celine
and
Brandy do find explosive pleasure together, - so why does Brandy feel as
if
that's no longer enough for happiness?

With days and nights so delicious... who cares about tomorrow?

In All the Wrong Places, Lambda award winner Karin Kallmaker spins
another
masterful tale of passion and love.

Shannon

We are wise, not because we are women, but because we seek wisdom.

------------------------------

From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:32:59 -0600

Spineless books, like spineless people, are rather dull. <lol> You're
right about the duplex; that's what the specs said.
Thanks,
Kellie, who's eating cold oatmeal and beef jerky for breakfast

------------------------------

From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger25@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Another submission
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:38:14 -0600

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum has been submitted in .rtf format. Here
is
the synopsis.

FOR FIFTY YEARS, Anna Schlemmer has refused to talk about her life in
Germany during World War II. Her daughter, Trudy, was only three when
she
and her mother were liberated by an American soldier and went to live
with
him in Minnesota. Trudy's sole evidence of the past is an old
photograph: a
family portrait showing Anna, Trudy, and a Nazi officer. Trudy, now a
professor of German history, begins investigating the past and finally
unearths the heartbreaking truth of her mother's life. Those Who Save Us
is
a profound exploration of what we endure to survive and the legacy of
shame.

From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger25@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:47:13 -0600

I have also submitted Halfway House by Katharine Noel. As usual, it is
in
.rtf format. Find the synopsis below.

One day, Angie Voorster-diligent student, all-star swimmer, and  Ivy

League-bound high school senior-dives to the bottom of a pool and stays

there. In that moment, everything the Voorster family believes they know

about each other changes. As Angie swings between manic highs and
dangerous

lows, the Voorsters struggle to maintain the appearance of an ideal New
England

family. It is only when Angie is finally able to fend for herself that
the
family allows

itself to fall apart and then regather in a new, fundamentally changed
way.
With grace

and precision, debut novelist Katharine Noel guides us through a world
where
love

is imperfect, and where longing for an imagined ideal can both destroy
one
family's

happiness and offer it redemption.

From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Adult Content from NLS, interesting
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:01:24 -0800

Looking at last Set/Oct NLS Braille Book review. Normally I dislike that
so
much of the "Adult Fiction" is for junior and senior high readers. Some
of
the other books say "explicit descriptions of sex, violence, and strong
language." Ok. But read the description of this one. If it were being
scanned into Bookshare would it be marked Adult Content because of the
sex
and violence? "Copper Sunday by Sharon Draper, 2 volumes. Amari is taken
from her African village when she is fifteen and sold to a southern
plantation owner in America. Amari and Polly, a white indentured
servant,
risk everything to escape. Descriptions of sex and violence. For senior
high
and older readers. Coretta Scott King Award. 2006."
And what makes the difference of descriptions of vs. explicit?????

Liz in PDX

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit them?
From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 10:01:50 -0600

All,  I have just downloaded:
1812: The Rivers of War by Eric Flint,

from the Baen Free library site in unzipped RTF format.  The book
contains
a valid copyright notice, an ISBN,  specifies that this is a mass market

edition--meaning it is the etext of a paperback, and it appears to sport

page breaks of some kind.    MS Word reports a total of 411 pages,
while
Kurzweil 1000 reports just under 250 pages.  I suspect that the document

may not use standard page breaks for pagination.  If this were the case,

some editors may not detect page breaks at all.

Guido

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who

were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being
wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>
01/07/2008 07:59 AM
Please respond to

From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Is it to soon to start scanning?
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:03:35 -0800

Please scan it!
Liz in PDX

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx

I did some research and I found 2 different books on the VA Tech
tragedy. I
am from MD and my brother graduated from Tech in 2005. One of the
students
who was killed had a father who taught at the school. My brother took
his
class. This subject is very close to my heart. My question is: is it too
soon to put such a book on the site? Anyone on the list from the area
too?
Thank you.

Anastasia

________________________________

it
now.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i6
2sR8
HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 08:09:02 -0800 (PST)
From: jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Submitted: Matrix Energetics

Submitted nonfiction: Matrix Energetics by Richard Bartlett 2007.
Matrix Energetics a modern display of healing by the laying on of hands.
Matrix Energetics applies the principles of quantum physics as a unique
and effective approach to healing. This is the essence of energy
medicine."
Easy validation:
-headers removed
-page numbers validated, blank pages labeled and numbered
-carefully spellchecked.
-pages separated with page break.

Jim Nuttall

------------------------------

From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger25@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] One last submission
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:38:24 -0600

The last submission for today is Miracles Happen: One Mother, One
Daughter,
one Journey by Brooke and Jean Ellison. This is in .rtf format.

This is the story of Brooke Ellison, who was paralyzed in 1990, at the
age
of eleven, and of Jean, her mother, who became Brooke's primary
caregiver,
even going so far as to go to Harvard with her.

From: "Amber" <amberanddottie@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:45:21 -0600

yes I have a lide 70 and I love it I got my scanner online at the Cano
internet store  Amber,  G.
----- Original Message ----- From: Monica Willyard

From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:50:35 -0500

Hi Guido,
Are some of the page breaks hard ones and some soft perhaps? What does
it
look like when you use Control+Shift+8 and use JAWS to look at the
character codes for the page breaks?

Jim

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change
the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

            "Guido Corona"

            <guidoc@xxxxxxxxx

            m>
            Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

            bksvol-discuss-bo
cc
            unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject
                                      [bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books

                                      again - how do we submit them?

            01/07/2008 11:01

            AM

            Please respond to

            bksvol-discuss@fr

               eelists.org

[...]

Sent by:
bksvol-discuss-bounce@freelist           <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

s.org
cc

Subject
01/07/2008 07:59 AM                      [bksvol-discuss] Baen books

                                         again - how do we submit them?

       Please respond to

From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 11:55:44 -0600

It is worth pointing out that Canon Light scanners use CIS image
sensors.
This sensors are not quite as good as the CCD sensors employed in larger

scanners; they frequently yield slightly noisy images that have the
additional tendency to fall apart towards the spine of the book because
of
poor depth of field.  These in turn yield less accurate OCR conversions.

Bottom line is that while light scanners are great for portability,
bigger
/ non portable  scanners   with CCD imagers are more accurate and in the

end may save editing/validation time.
G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who

were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being
wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Amber" <amberanddottie@xxxxxxx>
01/07/2008 11:45 AM
Please respond to

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:15:00 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Star Wars books
From: "Tracy Carcione" <carcione@xxxxxxxxxx>

At the end of the Star Wars book I just validated is a list of other
Star
Wars books.  I thought I'd post the list, and what I see, at a quick
glance, that Bookshare already has.  If some Star Wars fan sees one they
fancy that we don't have, maybe someone will be moved to scan it.
Offhand, I notice we have book 3 of the Corellian series, but not 1 or
2.

Ignore the page numbers that are still in the list.

Bookshare has:
New Rebellion
Rogue Squadron #1
The Approaching Storm
Showdown at Centerpoint (book 3 in Corellian series)
The Truce at Bakura
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

THE TRUCE AT BAKURA by Kathy Tyers
Setting: Immediately after Return of the Jedi
The day after his climactic battle with Emperor Palpatine and the
sacrifice of his father, Darth Vader, who died saving his life, Luke
Skywalker helps recover an Imperial drone ship bearing a startling
message
intended for the Emperor. It is a distress signal from the far-off
Imperial outpost of Bakura, which is under attack by an alien invasion
force, the Ssi-ruuk. Leia sees a rescue mission as an opportunity to
achieve a diplomatic victory for the Rebel Alliance, even if it means
fighting alongside former Imperials. But Luke receives a vision from
Obi-Wan Kenohi revealing that the stakes are even higher: the invasion
at
Bakura threatens everything the Rebels have won at such great cost.

STAR WARS: X-WING
by Michael A. Stackpole
ROGUE SQUADRON
WEDGE'S GAMBLE
THE KRYTOS TRAP
THE BACTA WAR
Setting: Three years after Return of the Jedi
Inspired by X-wing, the bestselling computer game from LucasArts
Entertainment Co., this exciting series chronicles the further
adventures
of the most feared and fearless fighting force in the galaxy. A new
generation of X-wing pilots, led by Commander Wedge Antilles, is
combating
the remnants of the Empire still left after the events of the STAR WARS
movies. Here are novels full of explosive space action, nonstop
adventure,
and the special brand of wonder known as STAR WARS.
In this very early scene, young Corellian pilot Corran Horn faces a
tough
challenge fast enough to get his heart pounding- and this is

391

only a simulation! [P.S.:   "Whistler" is Corran's R2 axtnimech droid]:
The Corellian brought his proton torpedo targeting program up and locked
on to the TIE. It tried (o break (he lock, but turbolasur fire from the
Komlev boxed it in. Corran's heads-up display went red and he triggered
the torpedo. "Scratch one eyeball."
The missile shot straight in at the fighter, but the pilot broke hard to
port and away, causing the missile to overshoot the target. Nice flying!
Corran brought his X-wing over and started down to loop in behind the
TIE,
but as he did so. the TIE vanished from his forward screen and
reappeared
in his aft are. Yanking the stick hard to the right and pulling it back,
Corran wrestled the X-wing up and to starboard, then inverted and rolled
out to the left.
A laser shot jolted a tremor through the simulator's couch. Lucky thing
had all shields aft! Corran reinforced them with energy from his lasers,
then evened them out fore and aft. Jinking the fighter right and left,
he
avoided laser shots coming in from behind, but they all came in far
closer
than he liked.
He knew Jacc had been in the bomber, and Jacc was the only pilot in the
unit who could have stayed with him. Except for our leader. Corran
smiled
broadly. Coming to see how good I really am. Commander Antilles? Let me
give you a clinic. "Make sure you're in there solid, Whistler, because
we're going for a little ride."
Corran refused to let the R2's moan slow him down. A snap-roll brought
the
X-wing up on its port wing. Pulling back on the stick yanked the
fighter's
nose up away from the original line of flight. The TIE stayed with him,
then tightened up on the arc to close distance. Corran then rolled
another
ninety degrees and continued the turn into a dive. Throttling back,
Corran
hung in the dive for three seconds, then hauled back hard on the stick
and
cruised up into the TIE fighter's aft.
The X-wing's laser fire missed wide to the right as the TIE cut to the
left. Corran kicked his speed up to full and broke with the TIE. He let
the X-wing rise above the plane of the break, then put the fighter
through
a twisting roll that ate up enough time to bring him again into the
TIE's
rear. The TIE snapped to the right and Corran looped out left.
He watched the tracking display as the distance between them grew to be
kilometer and a half, then slowed, fine, you want to go nose to nose? I
've got shields and you don't. If Commander Antilles wanted to commit
virtual suicide, Corran was happy to oblige him. He tugged

392

the stick back to his sternum and rolled out in an inversion loop.
Coming
at you!
The two starfighters closed swiftly. Corran centered his foe in the
crosshairs and waited for a dead shot. Without shields the TIE fighter
would die with one burst, and Corran wanted the kill to be clean. His
HUD
flicked green as the TIE juked in and out of the center, then locked
green
as they closed.
The TIE started firing at maximum range and scored hits. At that
distance
the lasers did no real damage against the shields, prompting Corran to
wonder why Wedge was wasting the energy. Then, as the HUD's green color
started to flicker, realization dawned. The bright bursts on the shields
are a distraction to my targeting! I better kill him now!
Corran tightened down on the trigger button, sending red laser needles
stabbing out at the closing TIE fighter. He couldn't tell if he had hit
anything. Lights flashed in the cockpit and Whistler started screeching
furiously. Corran's main monitor went black, his shields were down, and
his weapons controls were dead.
The pilot looked left and right. "Where is he, Whistler?"
The monitor in front of him flickered to life and a diagnostic report
began to scroll by. Bloodred bordered the damage reports. "Scanners,
out;
lasers, out; shields, out; engine, out! I'm a wallowing Hutt just
hanging
here in space."

THE COURTSHIP OF PRINCESS LEIA
by Dave Wolverton Setting: Four years after Return of the Jedi
One of the most interesting developments in Bantam's Star Wars novels is
that in their storyline. Han Solo and Princess Leia start a family. This
tale reveals how the couple originally got together. Wishing to
strengthen
the fledgling New Republic by bringing in powerful allies, Leia opens
talks with the Hopes consortium of more than sixty worlds. But the
consortium is ruled by the Queen Mother, who, to Han's dismay, wants
Leia
to marry her son. Prince holder. Before this action-packed story is
over,
Luke will join forces with holder against a group of Force-trained
"witches" and face a deadly foe.

393

HEIR TO THE EMPIRE DARK FORCE RISING THE LAST COMMAND
by Timothy Zahn
Setting: Five years after Return of the Jedi
This bestselling trilogy introduces two legendary forces of evil into
the
Star Wars literary pantheon. Grand Admiral Thrawn has taken control of
the
Imperial fleet in the years since the destruction of the Death Star, and
the mysterious Joruus C'baoth is a fearsome Jedi Master who has been
seduced by the dark side. Han and Leia have now been married for about a
year, and as the story begins, she is pregnant with twins. Thrawn's plan
is to crush the Rebellion and resurrect the Empire's New Order with
C'baoth's help--and in return, the Dark Master will get Han and Leia 's
Jedi children to mold as he wishes. For as readers of this magnificent
trilogy will see, Luke Skywalker is not the last of the old Jedi. He is
the first of the new.
The Jedi Academy Trilogy:
JEDISEARCH
DARK APPRENTICE
CHAMPIONS OF THE FORCE
by Kevin J. Anderson Setting: Seven years after Return of the Jedi
In order to assure the continuation of the Jedi Knights, Luke Skywalker
has decided to start a training facility: a Jedi Academy. He will gather
force-sensitive students who show potential as prospective Jedi and
serve
as their mentor, as Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenohi and Yoda did for him.
Han
and Leia's twins are now toddlers, and there is a third Jedi child: the
infant Anakin, named after Luke and Leia's father. In this trilogy, we
discover the existence of a powerful imperial doomsday weapon, the
horrifying Sun Crusher--which will soon become the centerpiece of a
titanic struggle between Luke Skywalker and his most brilliant Jedi
Academy student, who is delving dangerously into the dark side.

394

CHILDREN OF THE JEDI by Barbara Hambly
Setting: Eight years after Return of the Jedi
The Star Wars characters face a menace from the glory days of the Empire
when a thirty-year-old automated Imperial Dreadnought comes to life and
begins its grim mission: to gather forces and annihilate a
long-forgotten
stronghold of Jedi children. When Luke is whisked onboard, he begins to
communicate with the brave Jedi Knight who paralyzed the ship decades
ago,
and gave her life in the process. Now she is part of the vessel,
existing
in its artificial intelligence core, and guiding Luke through one of the
most unusual adventures he has ever had.
In this scene, Luke discovers that an evil presence is gathering, one
that
will force him to join the battle:
Like See-Threepio, Nichos Marr sat in the outer room of the suite to
which
Cray had been assigned, in the power-down mode that was the droid
equivalent of rest. Like Threepio, at the sound of Luke's almost
noiseless
tread he turned his head, aware of his presence.
"Luke?" Cray had equipped him with the most sensitive vocal modulators,
and the word was calibrated to a whisper no louder than the rustle of
the
blueleaves massed outside the windows. He rose, and crossed to where
Luke
stood, the dull silver of his arms and shoulders a phantom gleam in the
stray flickers of light. "What is it?"
"I don't know." They retreated to the small dining area where Luke had
earlier probed his mind, and Luke stretched up to pin back a corner of
the
lamp-sheath, letting a slim triangle of butter-colored light fall on the
purple of the vulwood tabletop. "A dream. A premonition, maybe." It was
on
his lips to ask, Do you dream? but he remembered the ghastly, imageless
darkness in Nichos's mind, and didn't. He wasn't sure if his pupil was
aware of the difference from his human perception and knowledge, aware
of
just exactly what he'd lost when his consciousness, his self, had been
transferred.
In the morning Luke excused himself from the expedition Tomla El had
organized with Nichos and Cray to the Falls of Dessiar, one of the
places
on Ithor most renowned for its beauty and peace. When they left he
sought
out Umwaw Moolis, and the tall herd leader listened gravely to his less
than logical request and promised to put matters in train to fulfill it.
Then Luke descended to the House of the Healers, where Drub McKumb lay,
sedated far beyond pain but with all the perceptions of agony and
nightmare still howling in his mind.

395

"Kill you!" He heaved himself at the restraints, blue eyes glaring
furiously as he groped and scrabbled at Luke with his clawed hands.
"It's
all poison! I see you! I see the dark light all around you! You're him!
You're him!" His back bent like a bow; the sound of his shrieking was
like
something being ground out of him by an infernal mangle.
Luke had been through the darkest places of the universe and of his own
mind, had done and experienced greater evil than perhaps any man had
known
on the road the Force had dragged him . . . Still, it was hard not to
turn
away.
"We even tried yarrock on him last night," explained the Healer in
charge,
a slightly built Ithoriiin beautifully tabby-striped green and yellow
under her simple tabard of purple linen. "But apparently the earlier
doses
that brought him enough lucidity to reach here from his point of origin
oversensitized his system. We'll try again in four or five days."
Luke gazed down into the contorted, grimacing face.
"As you can see," the Healer said, "the internal perception of pain and
fear is slowly lessening. It's down to ninety-three percent of what it
was
when he was first brought in. Not much, I know, but something."
"Him! Him! HIM!" Foam spattered the old man's stained gray beard.
Who?
"I wouldn't advise attempting any kind of mindlink until it's at least
down to fifty percent. Master Skywalker."
"No," said Luke softly.
Kill you all. And, They are gathering . . .
"Do you have recordings of everything he's said?"
"Oh, yes." The big coppery eyes blinked assent. "The transcript is
available through the monitor cubicle down the hall. We could make
nothing
of them. Perhaps they will mean something to you."
They didn't. Luke listened to them all, the incoherent groans and
screams,
the chewed fragments of words that could be only guessed at, and now and
again the clear disjointed cries: "Solo! Solo! Can you hear me? Children
.
. . Evil . . . Gathering here . . . Kill you all!"

396

DARKSABER by Kevin J. Anderson Setting: Immediately thereafter
Not long after Children of the Jedi, Luke and Han learn that evil Hutts
are building a reconstruction of the original Death Star--and that the
Empire is still alive, in the form ofDaala, who has joined forces with
Pellaeon, former second in command to the feared Grand Admiral Thrawn.
In
this early scene, Luke has returned to the home of Obi-Wan Kenobi on
Tatooine to try and consult a long-gone mentor:
He stood anxious and alone, feeling like a prodigal son outside the
ramshackle, collapsed hut that had once been the home of Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Luke swallowed and stepped forward, his footsteps crunching in the
silence. He had not been here in many years. The door had fallen off its
hinges; part of the clay front wall had fallen in. Boulders and crumbled
adobe jammed the entrance. A pair of small, screeching desert rodents
snapped at him and fled for cover; Luke ignored them.
Gingerly, he ducked low and stepped into the home of his first mentor.
Luke stood in the middle of the room breathing deeply, turning around,
trying to sense the presence he desperately needed to see. This was the
place where Obi-Wan Kenobi had told Luke of the Force. Here, the old man
had first given Luke his lightsaber and hinted at the truth about his
father, "from a certain point of view," dispelling the diversionary
story
that Uncle Owen had told, at the same time planting seeds of his own
deceptions.
"Ben," he said and closed his eyes, calling out with his mind as well as
his voice. He tried to penetrate the invisible walls of the Force and
reach to the luminous being of Obi-Wan Kenobi who had visited him
numerous
times, before saying he could never speak with Luke again.
"Ben, I need you," Luke said. Circumstances had changed. He could think
of
no other way past the obstacles he faced. Obi-Wan had to answer. It
wouldn't take long, but it could give him the key he needed with all his
heart.
Luke paused and listened and sensed- -
But felt nothing. If he could not summon Obi-Wan's spirit here in the
empty dwelling where the old man had lived in exile for so many years,
Luke didn't believe he could find his former teacher ever again.
He echoed the words Leia had used more than a decade earlier,

397

beseeching him, "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi," Luke whispered, "you're my
only
hope."
THE CRYSTAL STAR
by Vonda N. Mcintyre
Setting: Ten years after Return of the Jedi
Leia 's three children have been kidnapped. That horrible fact is made
worse by Leia's realization that she can no longer sense her children
through the Force! While she, Artoo-Detoo, and Chewbacca trail the
kidnappers, Luke and Han discover a planet that is suffering strange
quantum effects from a nearby star. Slowly freezing into a perfect
crystal
and disrupting the Force, the star is blunting Luke's power and
crippling
the Millennium Falcon. These strands converge in an apocalyptic threat
not
only to the fate of the New Republic, but to the universe itself.

The Black Fleet Crisis
BEFORE THE STORM
SHIELD OF LIES
TYRANT'S TEST
by Michael P. Kube-McDowell
Setting: Twelve years after Return of the Jedi
Long after setting up the hard-won New Republic, yesterday's Rebels have
become today's administrators and diplomats. But the peace is not to
last
for long. A restless Luke must journey to his mother's homeworld in a
desperate quest to find her people; Lando seizes a mysterious spacecraft
with unimaginable weapons of destruction; and waiting in the wings is an
horrific battle fleet under the control of a ruthless leader bent on a
genocidal war.
Here is an opening scene from Before the Storm:
In the pristine silence of space, the Fifth Battle Group of the New
Republic Defense Fleet blossomed over the planet Bessimir like a
beautiful, deadly flower.
The formation of capital ships sprang into view with startling
suddenness,
trailing fire-white wakes of twisted space and bristling with weapons.
Angular Star Destroyers guarded fat-hulled fleet carriers, while the
assault cruisers, their mirror finishes gleaming, took the point.

398

A halo of smaller ships appeared at the same time. The fighters among
them
quickly deployed in a spherical defensive screen. As the Star Destroyers
firmed up their formation, their flight decks quickly spawned scores of
additional fighters.
At the same time, the carriers and cruisers began to disgorge the
bombers,
transports, and gunboats they had ferried to the battle. There was no
reason to risk the loss of one fully loaded--a lesson the Republic had
learned in pain. At Orinda, the commander of the fleet carrier Endurance
had kept his pilots waiting in the launch bays, to protect the smaller
craft from Imperial fire as long as possible. They were still there when
Endurance took the brunt of a Super Star Destroyer attack and vanished
in
a ball of metal fire.
Before long more than two hundred warships, large and small, were
bearing
down on Bessimir and its twin moons. But the terrible, restless power of
the armada could be heard and felt only by the ships' crews. The silence
of the approach was broken only on the fleet comm channels, which had
crackled to life in the first moments with encoded bursts of noise and
cryptic ship-to-ship chatter.
At the center of the formation of great vessels was the flagship of the
Fifth Battle Group, the fleet carrier Intrepid, She was so new from the
yards at Hakassi that her corridors still recked of scaling compound and
cleaning solvent. Her huge realspace thruster engines still sang with
the
high-pitched squeal that the engine crews called "the baby's cry."
It would take more than a year for the mingled scents of the crew to
displace the chemical smells from the first impressions of visitors. But
after a hundred more hours under way, her engines' vibrations would drop
two octaves, to the reassuring thrum of a seasoned thruster bank.
On Intrepid'* bridge, a tall Dornean in general's uniform paced along an
arc of command stations equipped with large monitors. His eye-folds were
swollen and fanned by an unconscious Dornean defensive reflex, and his
leathery face was flushed purple by concern. Before the deployment was
even a minute old, Etahn A'baht's first command had been bloodied.
The fleet tender Afiazi had overshot its jump, coming out of hyperspace
too close to Bessimir and too late for its crew to recover from the
error.
Etahn A'baht watched the bright flare of light in the upper atmosphere
from Intrepid^s forward viewstation, knowing that it meant six young men
were dead.

399

THE NEW REBELLION by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Setting: Thirteen years after Return of the Jedi
Victorious though the New Republic may be. there is still no end to the
threats to its continuing existence- this novel explores the price of
keeping the peace. First, somewhere in the galaxy, millions suddenly
perish in a blinding instant of pain. Then, as Leia prepares to address
the Senate on Coruscant, a horrifying event changes the governmental
equation in a flash.
Here is that latter calamity, in an early scene from The New Rebellion:
An explosion rocked the Chamber, flinging Leia into the air. She flew
backward and slammed onto a desk, her entire body shuddering with the
power of her hit. Blood and shrapnel rained around her. Smoke and dust
rose, filling the room with a grainy darkness. She could hear nothing.
With a shaking hand, she touched the side of her face. Warmth stained
her
cheeks and her earlobes. The ringing would start soon. The explosion was
loud enough to affect her eardrums.
Emergency glow panels seared the gloom. She could feel rather than hear
pieces of the crystal ceiling fall to the ground. A guard had landed
beside her, his head tilted at an unnatural angle. She grabbed his
blaster. She had to get out. She wasn't certain if the attack had come
from within or from without. Wherever it had come from, she had to make
certain no other bombs would go off.
The force of the explosion had affected her balance. She crawled over
bodies, some still moving, as she made her way to the stairs. The
slightest movement made her dizzy and nauseous, but she ignored the
feelings. She had to.
A face loomed before hers. Streaked with dirt and blood, helmet askew,
she
recognized him as one of the guards who had been with her since
Alderaan.
Your Highness, he mouthed, and she couldn't read the rest. She shook her
head at him, gasping at the increased dizziness, and kept going.
Finally she reached the stairs. She used the remains of a desk to get to
her feet. Her gown was soaked in blood, sticky, and clinging to her
legs.
She held the blaster in front of her, wishing that she could hear. If
she
could hear, she could defend herself.
A hand reached out of the rubble beside her. She whirled, faced it,
watched as Meido pulled himself out. His slender features were covered
with dirt, but he appeared unharmed. He saw her blaster and

400

cringed. She nodded once to acknowledge him, and kept moving. The guard
was flanking her.
More rubble dropped from the ceiling. She crouched, hands over her head
protect herself. Small pebbles pelted her, and the floor shivered as
large
chunks of tile fell. Dust rose, choking her. She coughed, feeling it,
but
not able to hear it. Within an instant, the Hall had gone from a place
of
ceremonial comfort to a place of death.
The image of the death's-head mask rose in front of her again, this time
from memory. She had known this was going to happen. Somewhere, from
some
part of her Force-sensitive brain, she had seen this. Luke said that
Jedi
were sometimes able to see the future. But she had never completed her
training. She wasn't a Jcdi.
But she was close enough.

The Corellian Trilogy:
AMBUSH AT CORELLIA
ASSAULT AT SELONIA
SHOWDOWN AT CENTERPOINT
by Roger MacBride Alien
Setting: Fourteen years after Return of the Jedi
This trilogy takes us to Corellia, Him Solo s homcworld. which Han has
not
visited in quite some time. A trade summit brings Han, Leia, and the
children- -now developing their own clear personalities and
instinctively
learning more about their innate skills in the Force--into the middle of
situation that most closely resembles a burning jime. The Corellian
system
is on the brink of civil war, there are New Republic intelligence agents
on a mysterious mission which even Han does not understand, and worst of
all, a fanatical rebel leader has his hands on a superweapon of
unimaginable power- -and just wait until you find out who that leader
is!
Here is an early scene from Ambush that gives you a wonderful look at
the
growing Solo children (the twins are Jacen and Jaina, and their little
brother is Anakin):
Anakin plugged the board into the innards of the droid and pressed a
button. The droid's black, boxy body shuddered awake, it drew in its
wheels to stand up a bit taller, its status lights lit, and it made a
sort
of triple beep. "That's good," he said, and pushed the button again. The
droid's status lights went out, and its body slumped down again. Anakin
picked up the next piece, a motivation actuator. He frowned at

401

it as he turned it over in his hands. He shook his head. "That's not
good," he announced.
"What's not good?" Jaina asked.
"This thing," Anakin said, handing her the actuator. "Can't you telfi
The
insides part is all melty."
Jaina and Jacen exchanged a look. "The outside looks okay," Jaina said,
giving the part to her brother. "How can he tell what the inside of it
looks like? It's sealed shut when they make it."
Anakin, still sitting on the floor, took the device from his brother and
frowned at it again. He turned it over and over in his hands, and then
held it over his head and looked at it as if he were holding it up to
the
light. "There," he said, pointing a chubby finger at one point on the
unmarked surface. "In there is the bad part." He rearranged himself to
sit
cross-legged, put the actuator in his lap, and put his right index
finger
over the "bad" part. "Fix," he said. "Fix." The dark brown outer case of
the actuator seemed to glow for a second with an odd blue-red light, but
then the glow sputtered out and Anakin pulled his finger away quickly
and
stuck it in his mouth, as if he had burned it on something.
"Better now?" Jaina asked.
"Some better," Anakin said, pulling his finger out of his mouth. "Not
all
better." He took the actuator in his hand and stood up. He opened the
access panel on the broken droid and plugged in the actuator. He closed
the door and looked expectantly at his older brother and sister.
"Done?" Jaina asked.
"Done," Anakin agreed. "But I'm not going to push the button." He backed
well away from the droid, sat down on the floor, and folded his arms.
Jacen looked at his sister.
"Not me," she said. "This was your idea."
Jacen stepped forward to the droid, reached out to push the power button
from as far away as he could, and then stepped hurriedly back.
Once again, the droid shuddered awake, rattling a bit this time as it
did
so. It pulled its wheels in, lit its panel lights, and made the same
triple beep. But then its holocam eye viewlens wobbled back and forth,
and
its panel lights dimmed and flared. It rolled backward just a bit, and
then recovered itself.
"Good morning, young mistress and masters," it said. "How may I surge
you?"
Well, one word wrong, but so what? Jacen grinned and clapped his hands
and
rubbed them together eagerly. "Good day, droid," he said. They had done
it! But what to ask for first? "First tidy up this room,"

402

he said. A simple task, and one that ought to serve as a good test of
what
this droid could do.
Suddenly the droid's overhead access door blew off and there was a flash
of light from its interior. A thin plume of smoke drifted out of the
droid. Its panel lights flared again, and then the work arm sagged
downward. The droid's body, softened by heat, sagged in on itself and
drooped to the floor. The floor and walls and ceiling of the playroom
were
supposed to be fireproof, but nonetheless the floor under the droid
darkened a bit, and the ceiling turned black. The ventilators kicked on
high automatically, and drew the smoke out of the room. After a moment
they shut themselves off, and the room was silent.
The three children stood, every bit as frozen to the spot as the droid
was, absolutely stunned. It was Anakin who recovered first. He walked
cautiously toward the droid and looked at it carefully, being sure not
get too close or touch it. "Really melty now," he announced, and then
wandered off to the other side of the room to play with his blocks.
The twins looked at the droid, and then at each other.
"We're dead," Jaeen announced, surveying the wreckage.

------------------------------

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Star Wars books
From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:26:06 -0500

Hi,
I'd be glad to validate when I see any of these.

From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:30:24 -0500

Nah, sometimes having books about something like that Stasia can help
with
the grieving process.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anastasia Saridakis" <anamatia81@xxxxxxxxx>

From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 13:26:12 -0600

It seems JAWS sees page breaks  only in the front matter, but not in the

body of the book.  it is possible that page breaks in the body of the
book
may be soft breaks induced by K1K and MS Word at different places.
G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who

were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being
wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/07/2008 11:50 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books again - how do we submit them?

From: "Silvara" <silvara@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:31:26 -0500

Savage skies is from the same person as well. But the scan look pretty
good
that's why I am bothering with it. Thanks for getting it.

From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:45:53 -0500

Hi Guido,
Word has both hard and soft page breaks. Do you see both?

            unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx         "Claire O'Brien"

            g                         <obriencm@xxxxxxxxxx>

Subject
                                      [bksvol-discuss] Re: Baen books

            01/07/2008 02:26          again - how do we submit them?

            PM

            Please respond to

            bksvol-discuss@fr

               eelists.org

[...]

sts.org                                bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

cc

01/07/2008 11:50 AM

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 15:30:48 -0500
From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi, Anastasia. If a book is on the shelves at a bookstore or library,
it's never too soon to get it into the collection. (smile)
Monica Willyard

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 12:43:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Sestak <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The book I downloaded had hard page breaks for the front pages up to the
first chapter, then soft page breaks for most of the rest (maybe some
hard page breaks between chapters).  As I understand it, the bookshare
software does not recognize soft page breaks (actually, I don't think
soft page breaks exist in the file, I think word just puts them in on
the fly).
Misha

From: "Pat Price" <patlprice@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Hooked On Books Is Back Tomorrow, Tuesday,
1-8-08
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:47:09 -0500

Hello everyone,

First, let me say that I hope you had both a happy and joy filled
Christmas
and New Year celebration with those you love most.

Now that the holidays are behind us for another year, it is time to
return
to another love we share, and that is exactly what Hooked on Books is
all
about.

Tomorrow at 11 A.M. pacific, noon Mountain, 1 P.M. central and 2 P.M.
Eastern time, we will begin the new year with a new book. Let me tell
you
just a little bit about what we will be reading together.

Karen E. Bender's debut novel, Like Normal People takes place over the
course of just one day, but as some days often do, it has profound and
long
lasting effects for the characters. On the day in question in this
novel. a
48 year old mentally challenged woman decides to change her life by
leaving
her comfortable home in which she lives with her widowed mother.
Accompanying her on this journey is her troubled 12 year old niece. Why
has
she chosen this step? What will the two of them do while gone? How will
those left home both to wonder and to worry deal with this sudden
surprise?
Is it sudden at all?  What will Lena and her niece discover about
themselves? How can life ever return to normal again? Does Lena have
longings  and dreams to realize that will require  new levels of
understanding and growth her mother will  struggle with which to come to
terms? How will this affect her mother's view of her own life? How much
does
letting go and accepting change affect a   mother's  feeling of being
needed
and her place in the world? What does letting go cost?

Come feel with me what Karen's characters feel! Together, Karen  Bender
will
share with us what a family learns about growth and love and need, but
the
journey there will rock the foundation of life as they have known it.

All of this can be experienced  when you join us in the Friends of
Bookshare
In between The Bookends room by going to the link below.

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs83ce590a4853

I promise to do my part to give you a pleasurable afternoon. Relax,
bring a
hobby you can do while listening. I look forward to reading to you
there!

If you have questions, please write to me at:
Bonnie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:54:52 -0500

There appears to be some inconsistency on how books derive their page
numbers.  Not all books have correct page breaks.  I just downloaded two
books for comparison purposes.  One had no hard page breaks, the other,
had
some hard page breaks and other soft breaks.  Guido, the version you
downloaded, how many sections does Word report having in that file?  I
suspect that that particular book probably has the infamous section
breaks
that FR is so fond of inserting instead of hard page breaks.  That
probably
is the reason why Kurzweil 1000 decided not to like those pages too.

Prat

Are some of the page breaks hard ones and some soft perhaps? What does
it
look like when you use Control+Shift+8 and use JAWS to look at the
character codes for the page breaks?

Jim

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change
the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

           "Guido Corona"

           <guidoc@xxxxxxxxx

           m>                                                        To

           Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

           bksvol-discuss-bo
cc
           unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx

           g                                                    Subject

[...]

Sent by:                                                              To

From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:09:18 -0600

That's entirely possible Prat.  How do we check for 'section breaks' in
MS
Word / JFW?  G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who

were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being
wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
01/07/2008 02:54 PM
Please respond to

From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] 16 Lighthouse Road
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:53:06 -0500

Hi all,

I was reading the Booksfortheblind list and a bookshare member
downloaded the book in the subj line, by Debbie Macomber.  She
downloaded the DAISY format.  She said that all she got was page
numbers.   Has anyone read this book recently or downloaded it at all?
If it is indeed corrupt and not a munged download, it should probably
be removed or reencoded.  The BRF file's fine, I downloaded that.

TIA,
Ann P.

From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] tables converting to text Jamie's great tip
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:07:47 -0500

Dear Booksharian Friends

I'd rather not know how many hours I've struggled to replace tables with

text. Often the columns are off and get more unmatched as the table
continues. Often JAWS and I have mixed results trying to read the table
and
editing it is nearly impossible, especially getting mismatched columns
line up properly.

Recently Jamie sent the following instructions to the list. Her I did a
find
to locate her message and it saved me a huge amount of work on a book
I'll
be able to upload early this evening.

Here is her short, very effective tip for  converting tables to text in
Microsoft word.

To convert a table in word you just make sure your cursor is in the
table,
press Alt-A for the table menu, V for convert and B for table to text.

This tip has made editing so fast and easy  and the resulting
information in
text format conveyed the table information exactly. It is very hard for
some
people to visually skip the wide distance between columns in some tables
and
remain on the same line. In text, these columns can be separated by
commas
or dashes or whatever.

When you press b, in the last step of Jamie's tip, you get a dialogue
box
where you can choose how you want to separate columns with tabs, etc.
There
is even a place to type in how you want to mark the gap between or start
of
information in the next column.

I went to Jakes site to see if Jamie's tip, or one like it was there and

didn't find it. I don't know if my link is as up to date as it should
be,
but her tip really belongs on the list of Jakes tips. Cindy W, you might

also want to include this tip in the manual you are developing adding
information about the dialogue box which pops up when you press the b.

Thank you, Jamie!

Always with love,

Lissi

------------------------------

From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:09:59 -0500

Hi Guido,

Word 2007 reports Section X of Y on the status bar if there are multiple
sections in a file.  I don't recall 2003 reporting that info.  But, try
Insert+PGDN (or JAWS+Page down).  I must say Word 2007 is a lot better
at
reporting relevant info.  If you don't find that info, try doing a
global
replace for ^b with ^m and see what's reported.  If word manages to
replace
multiple occurrences, you can safely assume that it was the case.  In
any
case, it doesn't hirt to replace section breaks with hard page breaks.
If
you do have multiple occurrences and manage to replace them, save the
file
and reopen it in Kurzweil 1000.  Now Kurzweil 1000 should reportcorrect
number of pages.

Prat

              eelists.org <http://eelists.org/>

s.org <http://s.org/>

From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Clarification on Tables
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:25:25 -0500

Dear Jake,
I just found your message advising us to leave tables in tact. As long
as we don't mess with the content, if the tables are easier to read as
text, is it too bad a thing to convert them to text? Really, the tables
I get while validating often have errors which are a bear to tackle
within the table format, and I'd regret having to reconvert back to a
table after I corrected it because I think they are a nightmare for
visual readers, as in low vision visual readers...

I'm asking permission to break the rules, but admit that if I don't get
it, I might go underground in good conscience.

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: Jake Brownell
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:28:00 -0500
From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Guido,

In the word find field enter a ^b to search for section breaks.  If
you find them, which I kind of doubt you will since the books are
meant to be viewed on a computer screen, you can replace them with ^m
for a normal page break.  I say a normal page break, as that's what
MS in its infinite wisdom decided to use when they pushed rtf.  I
don't know why they felt the need to move away from the old ASCII
standard page break of ^l, but that's MS for you.
On another note look at all the folks that missed you when you
weren't here!  It makes me think of that country western song, "How
can I miss you when you won't go away."

Dave

<mailto:james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change
the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

           "Guido Corona"
           <<mailto:guidoc@xxxxxxxxx>guidoc@xxxxxxxxx

           m>
           Sent
by:
<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
           bksvol-discuss-bo
cc
           <mailto:unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx>unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx

               <http://eelists.org/>eelists.org

Email: <mailto:guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

<<mailto:dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>

<http://s.org/>s.org
cc

Subject
01/07/2008 07:59 AM                      [bksvol-discuss] Baen books
                                         again - how do we submit
them?

       Please respond to
 <mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, with all this talk I am just curious about how we would go about
submitting them.  The Baen books I have read none of them had page
breaks
or
page numbers and no Copyright info included.

Is this something that Jim and the Bookshare staff are going to work
on?

<mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bksvol-discuss-request@fre
elists.org
list of

<mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bksvol-discuss-request@fre
elists.org
subject line.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1/7/2008 9:14 AM

------------------------------

From: "Allison Hilliker" <bookshare_girl@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: 16 Lighthouse Road
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:41:41 -0700

Thanks to Ann and her friend for letting us know about the bug.

I checked the book and it reads fine in HTML, but not in Daisy.  We've
removed the book, and Claire is ordering it so it can be scanned
in-house.

Sorry to anyone who wanted to read the book right now, but we'll work on
putting the new copy up soon.

Best,

Allison Hilliker:
Intern, Benetech (Bookshare.org).
E-mail allisonh@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.bookshare.org----- Original Message ----- From: "Ann Parsons" <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: "groups Warford" <groups_warford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: tables converting to text Jamie's great
tip
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:32:20 -0500

Hi Lissi,
Thanks for pointing this out to all of us and for thinking of me.  I
will
include it in my material.  I hadn't seen Jamie's original post, but
then I
seem to be constantly behind these days.

Thanks again, and take care!
Cindy W (Cindy 4)

Start with the necessary and the possible, and you'll soon find you're
doing
the impossible.
-- St. Francis

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 19:10:57 -0500
From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't know about the 1260.  If you're sure it's a 1260, I'd check the
Epson web site and forget the disc.

[...]

269.17.13/1213 - Release Date: 1/7/2008 9:14 AM

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 19:27:05 -0500
From: "Gary Petraccaro" <garyp130@xxxxxxxxxxx>

To be clear, I cannot make sense of what I think I'm hearing.  It sounds
me as if it's your computer that's having problems.  You have two
different
scanners each of which has problems with the machine.  I have no
knowlege
about Dells whatsoever.  Nevertheless, I have just downloaded the driver

files from the Epson site.  They are in an executable file which
self-extracts to a specific folder.  After that, it either runs
automatically or you have to go to the folder and run the setup program.
If
you want the file, I'd be happy to send it to you as an attachment.
I'd call Paul just in case he has an idea and he comes on after 2:00
P.M.,
EST.
Sincerest Good Wishes, and let me know if you want the file.

Btw, Nick knows much more than I do, but, just in case, did you connect
the front or back of the computer, what operating system do you use?

From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Wish List and other books I have scanned and
am worki
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:57:25 -0500

Hi all,
Below are five books which I have scanned, but I have yet to clean them
up
as much as I'd like to (including removing headers), so I won't put them
up
until I have. I go back to college next week, so I'm not sure exactly
when
I'll get them done, but I will, and I'm posting here because I don't
want
anyone to end up having duplicated scanning that's already been done.
Four
of them are off of the Wish List, and one is not. The one which isn't
is:

Songs of the Humpback Whale, by Jodi Picoult

The four from the Wish List are:

Unspoken, by Lisa Jackson

A Twist of Fate, by Lisa Jackson

Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson

Good Intentions, by Joy Fielding

Thanks,
Maria
Maria Kristic
Skype: MariaKristic
AIM: MCKristic
E-Mail and MSN:  <blocked::mailto:maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Google Talk:  <blocked::mailto:Maria.Kristic@xxxxxxxxx>
Maria.Kristic@xxxxxxxxx
Yahoo Messenger:  <blocked::mailto:mariakristic@xxxxxxxxx>
mariakristic@xxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:39:16 -0500
From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx

I think I know what she is referring to in respect to the 1260.  I
have one but don't currently use it because it is so frigging slow,
but the autorun file that kicks in when you load the CD puts the user
in a screen that allows you to install drivers, software,
etc.  Unfortunately, the screen is graphics based and doesn't talk or
provide any usable output.  The way around this is to use either the
file from Epson's web site, which is actually a better choice as
they're newer drivers anyway, or to load the CD, exit the setup
screen, browse to the CD in Explorer, switch to the drivers folder,
and run the executable found there.  The setup programs in the sub
folders talk fine, it's just the one that autoruns that stinks.

Dave

At 07:27 PM 1/7/2008, you wrote:
To be clear, I cannot make sense of what I think I'm hearing.  It
sounds to me as if it's your computer that's having problems.  You
have two different scanners each of which has problems with the
machine.  I have no knowlege about Dells whatsoever.  Nevertheless,
I have just downloaded the driver files from the Epson site.  They
are in an executable file which self-extracts to a specific
folder.  After that, it either runs automatically or you have to go
to the folder and run the setup program.  If you want the file, I'd
be happy to send it to you as an attachment.
I'd call Paul just in case he has an idea and he comes on after 2:00
P.M., EST.
Sincerest Good Wishes, and let me know if you want the file.

Btw, Nick knows much more than I do, but, just in case, did you
connect to the front or back of the computer, what operating system do
you use?

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:07:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Anastasia Saridakis <anamatia81@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Wishlist Request

Kelby
I am scanning your book and it is very difficult. I am trying to scan it
one page at a time b/c 2 at once wasn't working. It is taking a long
time and I have to delete a column on each page. I can't open the book
wide enough to do 2 pages at a time. DO you need this book or can
someone else scan this for you? I've done 150 pages and it doesn't even
look like I have put a dent in it as they say. what would you like me to
do? Would someone else like this book?  It is not my nature to quit on a
book but this one is a pain. Do you really need this book and if so can
someone else please try to take it? Thank you
ANastasia
kelby carlson <kelbycarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Dear Booksharians,

I am going to be doing a report/speech on fanaticism, extremism,
and terrorism in the U.S.  I need to do some research for this
report, and was wondering if any of the following could be
scanned:

 Nazis, Communists, Klansmen, and Others on the Fringe:
Political Extremism in America by John George, and Laird Wilcox.

The Farrakhan Phenomenon: Race, Reaction, and the Paranoid Style
in American Politics by Robert Singh.  Harvest of Rage: Why
Oklahoma City Is Only the Beginning by Joel Dyer

The Politics of Unreason: Right Wing Extremism in America,
1790-1970 by Seymour Martin Lipset, Earl Raab.

Kelby

Doomed Dragon

Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?

A: It is the universe exploding.

"It is not what we see that determines who we are.  It is how we
choose to see it."

"Let them praise the name of the LORD, for his name alone is
exalted; his splendor is above the earth and the heavens."

Psalm 148:13

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your
presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my
bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the
dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your
hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

Psalm 139:7-10

--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! --
http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---

line.

---------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:52:05 -0600
From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Trouble on the Site

Hi All,

I am trying to upload a book to the admin queue.  When I press browse
and
get the path, I get the error message:  "The page you are looking for is

unavailable.  etc.  Is anyone else having problems?

Thanks,

Sue S.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 19:57:00 -0800 (PST)
From: Anastasia Saridakis <anamatia81@xxxxxxxxx>

Thank you Liz and Shelly for your encouragement.
I am hoping they will be uplifting books. Thanks for the support.
Anastasia
liz halperin <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Please scan it!
Liz in PDX

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:58:35 -0500

Hi all,

Alison, you going to write to booksfortheblind, or shall I?  No sense
in writing twice.   Please advise.

Ann P.

From: "maithe007" <maithe007@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Thank You
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:12:50 -0500

Hi guys,
I just wanted to say thank you for all of the support you have sent my
way.  It does help...a lot.  I am still raw, but I know that with time I
will get better.  I miss my mom horribly and I keep picking-up the phone
to speak to her.  It kills me, but I will learn.  She is being cremated
tomorrow, we are having a wake for all of her neighborhood friends on
Wednesday and a mass on Saturday.  We will release her ashes by the
ocean afterwards.  I hope my mom is happy where she is now.  I hope she
knows that we all miss her and love her.

Thank you all for being my friends.  I will be off the loops for a bit
until I get myself together.  I am sorry if I have not answered your
personal letters, but I just can't right now.  I have received them and
have kept them all to remind me of all the support I have had from my
friends.

Hugs,

Maithe