[bksvol-discuss] Re: Any Difference in OpenBook's OCR Engines?

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 16:47:10 -0600

I use Kurzweil not Open Book, but I can say that usually fine reader gives the
best results.  It sometimes creates more junk characters instead of skipping
pictures, but within the text it seems just a tad better usually.  Fine reader
recognizes em-dashes correctly does not usually cause spaces in the middle of
words, and seems a little better at guessing where blank lines should be in the
text.  Of course there probably are books that will work better with the other
scanning engines, but if you don't want to mess around testing and your results
are fine with fine engine, then I wouldn't try switching.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity