[AR] Re: pressurization (was Re: Portland State Aerospace Society)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:19:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Paul Mueller wrote:

Thank you. So the Delta I/II/III used nitrogen? I guess not all Western
rockets (or all "dino-space") use/used helium for LOX pressurization.

Nope, not all. As per previous discussion, it *is* the easiest way, but it's not the only way. Goddard used nitrogen too. If memory serves, so did the X-1.

Now I'm curious about Falcon 9 and Ariane V.

The Falcons all use helium.  Ariane 5 uses helium for LOX and GH2 for LH2.

I can see where nitrogen could be a problem with the densified, chilled LOX in the latest Falcon 9s.

Doesn't make it impossible, but would make it harder. Even in rockets which don't explicitly subcool their LOX below boiling point, usually the flight pressure of the LOX tank is higher than the pressure used during most of the countdown. That means the LOX is slightly subcooled once the pressure is boosted to flight pressure just before launch, because at higher pressure the boiling point is higher. (The late change in pressure is done for the same reason SpaceX is subcooling its LOX: colder LOX is denser. So if the LOX is going to reach boiling point while waiting on the pad, you want it to do that at low pressure where the boiling point is lower.)