[AR] Re: pressurization (was Re: Portland State Aerospace Society)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 21:54:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016, Paul Mueller wrote:

I'm curious what problems the Atlas V had with the waffle-grid aluminum. Did it cause a problem with pressurization? I'm assuming they also used helium.

Yep, the Atlas family has always used helium. (Thor and Delta I/II/III, by contrast, pressurized their tanks with nitrogen.)

The problem with the switch from the thin stainless tanks of Atlas III to the thicker waffle-grid aluminum of Atlas V was that, between the larger surface area and the much higher thermal conductivity, it cooled the helium much more effectively. The result was much higher gas density, and hence a need for higher flow rates and much more helium storage -- and so Atlas V's pressurization system is much heavier than Atlas III's. People had expected it to be worse than Atlas III, but nobody realized just how *much* worse it would be. Making the design close at all turned into a real struggle.