[AR] Re: dumping LM Aquarius

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 11:28:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Keith Henson wrote:
> >> Was Apollo 13's Pu-238 (3,9 kg) in LM Aquarius later recovered...
> > No.  The splashdown site was chosen to put the plutonium cask into deep
> > ocean, where it sits to this day...

> We are getting better and better at finding stuff on the ocean floor.

I'd guess that the search would be lengthy and expensive -- it's a small
object and its location is known only very roughly -- but perhaps it could
be done.

> Though about half has decayed by now.

No, only about a third -- half-life of Pu-238 is 86.4 years.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                                        (regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)