[AR] atomic hydrogen (was Re: arocket Digest V1 #58)

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 16:08:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013, John Schilling wrote:
> > And if you want a liquid fuel as the end result, the optimal chemistry
> > likely won't have molecular hydrogen as an intermediate product...
> >
> Molecular hydrogen, humph.  I want a car that runs on atomic hydrogen.
> A car, and a rocket ship.  Atomic hydrogen would be worth the bother of
> cryogenic storage...

Well, maybe.  There is this problem with a positive heat of formation that
has too many digits before the decimal point, and an activation energy
that has too many digits after.  It's the great-grandmother of all
energetic monopropellants, for sure... with all that implies.  When the
fuel makes nitroglycerin look like dishwater, and the slightest *failure*
of cryogenic storage will let its true personality emerge, there is still
such a thing as it being too much bother!

"Huh?  The tank vent valve has opened..."
"RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!"

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)