[AR] Re: arocket Digest V1 #30

  • From: Douglas Messier <21stcenturycomm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 16:17:35 -0700

I'm a bit amused by how SpaceX handles its anomalies. Oh, the engine didn't
explode, it was pressure differential that caused the outer casing to fly
off. And it's a good test of the engine out capability, even though we're
going to re-arrange the engine layout in the upgraded version so if the
same thing happens on a future flight, say goodbye to the payload.

The seemingly nonchalance of having the upper stage not restart when you
need that to launch all the comsats in your manifest is also pretty
interesting. I think the explanation was something like, "no biggie, we've
restarted these engines on the ground, no gotta figure out why it didn't
work in a vacuum." Well, yeah....that's pretty much the trick, isn't it?
Designing the engine for restart in a vacuum. I realize it was a test
flight of an upgraded engine, but still....And we have to take his word
that it's not a major problem.

Musk has played the underdog role here so well to the point where people
are really rooting for him and excuse problems on the launch vehicle and
spacecraft that would have gotten others a lot more criticism. Stages
rolling, engines blowing apart, thruster pods not working, engines failing
to light, sensors getting confused by too much sunlight off JEMS. You never
know what's going to go wrong next. Imagine things like that going wrong on
ULA rockets or Japanese and European cargo ships and see if people would be
that forgiving.

I think these issues have been one of the reasons the military's attitude
toward SpaceX. They want cheaper launches, but with payloads that cost $1
billion or more, they can't afford any failures. It's better for them for
SpaceX to work out its bugs launching clothing and food to ISS (where a
failure won't cost that much or endanger the station) and satellites for
other entities that have insurance.

--
Douglas Messier
Mojave, CA