[AR] Thursday's Dnepr cluster launch

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 15:05:07 -0500 (EST)

<http://www.spaceflight101.com/denpr-2013-cluster-launch-updates.html> is
a well-done article about the Dnepr cluster launch a couple of days ago.
Among numerous :-) other payloads, it carried another of our little
astronomy satellites, BRITE-PL (aka Lem).  The launch went fine, and the
satellite is healthy and starting commissioning.

(BRITE-PL final assembly was done in Poland, by the customer, but we
supplied design, parts, training, and support.  It's more or less a
duplicate of the two BRITEs that were launched in February.  There are two
or three more to come.  The mission is precision photometry of bright
stars, studying their variation and oscillations, more or less following
on from our first satellite, MOST; the restriction to bright stars is
simply because the telescopes are pretty small and they can't collect
enough light for precise measurements except from fairly bright sources.)

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                                        (regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)