[AR] Re: Space Access Symposium

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:14:20 -0700

On 1/14/2020 8:33 PM, Henry Spencer wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:
...an informal survey question: How many would (or absolutely would not) consider coming to Phoenix ... possibly Labor Day weekend, possibly a week or two after, historical average ~100F midafternoon highs, ~80F overnight lows - but to a really nice resort hotel in a really nice many-restaurants-walkable touristy neighborhood at a very tolerable price?

I was in downtown Phoenix for a convention, half a lifetime or so ago, at the beginning of September.  The open plaza between the headquarters hotel and the convention center was quickly dubbed "The Anvil Of God" (after the then recent SF novel by Greg Bear) :-).  That said, while crossing it in midafternoon could be a bit unpleasant, it was at least brief, and both ends were well air-conditioned.  Once the Sun got lower in the sky there was no problem.

The '87 NASFIC.  I was there also, a getaway from DC where I was still working for NSS.  Not at all a dry heat, August in DC - you didn't so much breathe, as carve off chunks of air and chew. Arrived in Phoenix at the old Terminal 1, got to the bottom of the rollup airstairs, had an epiphany and just stood there on the tarmac basking in the shimmering-heat DRY.  I swear I felt the DC swamp fungus turning to dust and falling off me over the next minute or two...

Definitely would consider it.  I'm far more annoyed by finding it cool in Phoenix for Space Access (which has happened) than by finding it hot.

April in Phoenix can be anywhere from 60's with scudding rainclouds to 90's and relentless sunshine.  Better than snow either way - but yeah, I can appreciate the urge to bake a bit after a northern winter.

Henry V