[AR] Re: Space Access Symposium

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 22:33:54 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:

...an informal survey question: How many would (or absolutely would not) consider coming to Phoenix ... possibly Labor Day weekend, possibly a week or two after, historical average ~100F midafternoon highs, ~80F overnight lows - but to a really nice resort hotel in a really nice many-restaurants-walkable touristy neighborhood at a very tolerable price?

I was in downtown Phoenix for a convention, half a lifetime or so ago, at the beginning of September. The open plaza between the headquarters hotel and the convention center was quickly dubbed "The Anvil Of God" (after the then recent SF novel by Greg Bear) :-). That said, while crossing it in midafternoon could be a bit unpleasant, it was at least brief, and both ends were well air-conditioned. Once the Sun got lower in the sky there was no problem.

Definitely would consider it. I'm far more annoyed by finding it cool in Phoenix for Space Access (which has happened) than by finding it hot.