[AR] Re: Lunar GPS navigation.

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 16:09:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, David McMillan wrote:

There's no reason why a GPS-type system wouldn't work in lunar orbit...
[Geostar] [Transit] ...

    How much would any of these constellation concepts have to rely on ground stations for ephemeris updates?  I know that GPS and Galileo rely heavily on ground stations constantly updating the clocks...

I expect you'd need a few lunar ground stations at known locations, measuring the satellite signals and reporting on them. Might be able to largely automate it by having sets of ground beacons in a few places, that the *satellites* listen to when they pass over, determining their own positions and orbits at regular intervals.

...given how unstable Lunar orbits tend to be...

As Bill has already pointed out, it's not quite that bad. Especially since we now have complete lunar gravity maps, giving rather better orbit prediction than we used to have.