[AR] Re: Introduction / getting started with APCP

  • From: Terry McCreary <tmccreary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 07:31:32 -0600

I don't recall offhand whether there are any non-isocyanate curatives for HTPB but even if there are, availability to amateurs is likely to be low or nonexistent.

Chris Short carries something called ACME curative -- I've never used it and don't know squat about it -- and PAPI 94; I have used the latter with good results.

RCS sells E744; it's quite inexpensive, good pot life, and cures in a couple of days at room temperature.  For an overnight cure it can be allowed to gel at room temp, then warmed in a heated curing container at about 100-110F. NOT indoors!

https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/Modified_MDI_Isocyanate_Curative/p1577809_7835874.aspx

Regardless of what you buy, don't get more curative than you can use within a few months, as isocyanates don't age well.

Side note: the cost of AP has skyrocketed; RCS is selling barrel quantities for $20/lb or a 20 lb container for about $500. "Sugar" propellants are beginning to look rather attractive...

Best -- Terry

On 1/30/2020 9:42 PM, Wyatt Harris wrote:

Appreciate all the replies! One follow-up question for now: I can't see what csrocketry has to offer for curatives since I'm not TRA level 2, but if IPDI isn't the best curative for HTPB, any advice on good non-isocyanate alternatives? I don't have the book with me, but I seem to remember ECP just mentioning various isocyanates as curatives for HTPB? Suppose I'll give the IPDI I have a try for now.

I'd love to go to that APCP course, and maybe I will one day, but don't have the time now unfortunately.

Thanks,
Wyatt #2

--
Dr. Terry McCreary