[AR] Amateur Liquid TVC (was: Regarding Univerity solid rockets for cube-sat launch to orbit)

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2018 18:19:58 -0700

On 3/3/2018 4:57 PM, John Schilling wrote:

On 3/3/2018 3:05 PM, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:
Duh!  For a KISS liquid TVC demo, what do you think of nitrous for the TVC fluid?

Henry

Nitrous should work, but I'm looking at an old DTIC report <http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/268731.pdf> that got decent results from Freon.  Looks like their application was for the old Subroc system, whic as the name implies was meant to be used aboard submarines and so wanted the safest possible liquids.

So, Mark I amateur system uses Freon, and if/when you need the extra performance you start testing a Mark II using N2O.  Carefully, because it is an energetic oxidizer even if nominally benign at STP.  If you get that working safely and reliably, you can think about things like HAN.

Freon atmospheric release, alas, involves a lot more paperwork than it used to.

For cheap easily-available fluids with similar expands-a-lot-without-too-much-energy-input characteristics, there are propane or butane. (Or one of the packaged propane-butane mixes that were popular for a while as a cheap R-12 substitute in automobile air conditioners. At least among the broke and adventurous, of which I was one for some years.)

You could even run your main rocket oxidizer-rich to burn propane TVC fluid... But we're wandering well away from "low-risk initial concept test" there, never mind.