[AR] Re: 1/4-28 spark plugs

  • From: qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:18:36 -0600

Our group used a Rimfire as well as a number other brands of spark plugs and glow heaters in an effort to keep a 50% peroxide/sugar mixture ignited. The Rimfire worked the best as it took longer to carbon up than any of the others because of it's design. However, possibly also due to it's design and or what we were trying to ignite, we had several very late starts. We did not use it with any other type of fuel.

Robert

At 07:12 PM 4/27/2016, you wrote:

I discovered today that the NGK ME-8 spark plug is no longer made. I've been using the 1/4-28 plugs in my Augmented Spark Igniters so I'm looking for a replacement in the same size. In addition to the cheap import knockoffs, the Rimfire VR2 looks to be a near exact match:
http://sparkplugs.morrisonandmarvin.com/14-32.php

Has anybody used the Rimfire plugs in a rocket application? The only thing I'd be concerned with is the prolonged heat and temperature causing a leak around the insulator. I suppose I could do a little igniter test program to qualify them myself. On this page, they claim XCOR, NASA and other aerospace companies use them:
http://sparkplugs.morrisonandmarvin.com/main2.php

-Bob