[AR] 1/4-28 spark plugs

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 20:12:02 -0500

I discovered today that the NGK ME-8 spark plug is no longer made. I've been using the 1/4-28 plugs in my Augmented Spark Igniters so I'm looking for a replacement in the same size. In addition to the cheap import knockoffs, the Rimfire VR2 looks to be a near exact match:
http://sparkplugs.morrisonandmarvin.com/14-32.php

Has anybody used the Rimfire plugs in a rocket application? The only thing I'd be concerned with is the prolonged heat and temperature causing a leak around the insulator. I suppose I could do a little igniter test program to qualify them myself. On this page, they claim XCOR, NASA and other aerospace companies use them:
http://sparkplugs.morrisonandmarvin.com/main2.php

-Bob