Re: options for read only mirror with 10g SE or SE One

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: identd@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:13:32 +0200

This discussion is diverting somewhat from what the Original Poster was
asking for.
Standby in all appearances (except Logical Standby, but that is EE)
tends to be in recovery mode. So, there is quite few read-only access
possible to the second database, which happened to be the original
question. I don't think that opening and closing the database in
read-only/recovery mode every five minutes will come close to the SLA
that running the reports needs.
In flight information display systems on airports we used triggers to
achieve the goal Marc is looking for.
We had a bunch of PL/SQL generating views and SQL, that actually created
a complete set of triggers on all tables in a given schema. The triggers
took care of creating entries in a logging table. This table was read
asynchronously by the 'standby database'. This was a system with appr. 2
- 10K transactions per day. Yes, there was quite some overhead, but this
was some 10 years ago, and advanced replication (AR) wasn't there, nor
was Advanced Queueing. So, we built our own AR/AQ solutions, based on
triggers and the dbms_alert package.

These days I would go for AR or Streams, and with 10g, maybe even SQL
Apply/Logical Standby.

So Marc, I think you're stuck: standby (manual/semi-automatic) doesn't
help you. AR is part of EE as well, IIRC. So, it's either generating
triggers and go the cumbersome management way, or going EE. The trigger
thing might very well beat your reporting load, so, maybe running the
reports on the primary and put the standby (manual standby) on the
second server is a better solution. I understand your fear of RAC
complexity completely, however, just to have all options passed your
mind, think of this: RAC with SE on two small servers. OLTP/batches
connect to one instancer, reports to the other (no load balancing and
maybe even no failover config). The standby database (manual apply to
avoid EE licensing) can run on the second server as well. Now you've
off-loaded the OLTP instance from reports, and you have two databases.
You pay per processor, but are free to run two or more instances on the
same server. The recovery process can only hurt the reporting (and vice
versa) but that shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure Mogens will love this
config, as he is director of a small database consultancy company ;-)

Mark is right about the licensing. I've seen customers getting the
standby for 75% off, but you need a license. Only a cold standby, no
Oracle software running, can go for free. As soon as it runs at 10
calendar days or more during a year, be it for failover or testing the
scenario, you need to license that cold server as well.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===