Re: SQLPLUS training, why?

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:45:09 +0100

Gabriel,

  I've read the answers of Stefan and Gus, I can only subscribe to what
they said (especially speed - I'm currently doing an "Oracle DBA Lite"
series on Youtube, being rather despaired by the toy that is provided to
administer Oracle Express that Oracle presents as a good training
product for wannabe DBAs - I've tried to use the web-based SQL tool,
output is nice but the slowness of the interface is perceptible).

I would like to add a few things that are also big pluses in my view:

- Double-action SQL. With SQL*Plus formatting, it's very easy to
generate a "ready-to-run" script; it's often much more efficient than
convoluted PL/SQL (especially as DDL, which as a DBA you use a lot,
requires EXECUTE IMMEDIATE). There are tons of administrative tasks that
benefit from these techniques.

- Scripts. If you are not using a scripting language such as Perl or
Python that can directly access Oracle but plain ksh (once again,
something you can expect to find on all *nixes), embedding SQL*Plus
calls is easy and let you do tons of things. There has been a thread on
DG recently, if you want to script operations such as switching to the
secondary database etc. (and I am strongly in favor of scripting tasks
that aren't obvious, that you don't do often and that you may have to
perform anytime under pressure), those require a number of queries.

Stephane Faroult
RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>
Konagora <http://www.konagora.com>
RoughSea Channel on Youtube <http://www.youtube.com/user/roughsealtd>