Re: Reinstall OS completely without reinstalling Oracle

  • From: Wayne Smith <wts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 14:12:45 -0400

My sysadmins prefer a new install over upgrade in some circumstances such as
when they suspect there is "baggage" of some sort such as a very old
machine/Linux version.
Not sure on /var/oracle, but make sure you have a backup ... maybe separate
mount is good enough?

For Oracle database, you'll want to

   - verify existence of proper/minimal packages and kernel parameters (see
   MOS note
169706.1<https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id9706.1>or
the installation doc for your database version installation).
   - relink stuff in the Oracle Home (see MOS note
131321.1<https://supporthtml.oracle.com/ep/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id1321.1>
   ).

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne T Smith - wts@xxxxxxxxx - UMS-ITS-S&O -

   - LISTSERV®, the software that pioneered opt-in email list communication,
   is now 25 years old.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx