Reading English text in multi-byte character set DB - Any Issues?

  • From: "William R. Jones" <william.jones@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 11:29:10 -0500 (EST)

We are in the process of creating a new data warehouse to replace (and expand
on) an older one.  The database will be an Oracle 9i RAC with Data Guard
(logical standby) setup.

There are near-term future plans for adding text, address information from
other languages (i.e., Portuguese, Spanish, French and possibly Japanese and
Chinese addresses). If we go to a multi-byte setup (e.g., double-byte), will we
encounter any problems with storing and reading English text?

Also, are there any other issues that anyone has encountered using a multi-byte
character set on an Oracle database that is primarily (98+ %) storing English
text?

Regards,

William