RMAN rant

  • From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:08:51 +0200

I have just tried to compile all the RMAN keywords (by "keyword" I mean
any terminal term without space that you find in all those wonderful
syntactical diagrams that brighten up our reading of Oracle reference docs).
Having used RMAN, I had some apprehension, and I wasn't disappointed. If
anyone is interested, my tally is 242 different terms (I have excluded
the RMAN command itself and what can be passed to it on the command
line). Jesus. Posters on most forums don't seem to have that much
vocabulary. Compared to RMAN, the GNU autotools (I was in them shortly
before) are a piece of cake.
Whatever the opinion someone I'm thinking of has of Don Chamberlin and
of his understanding of the relational model, at least Don and Ray Boyce
managed to do an awful lot with very few keywords.

I like to quote to developers the "Art Poétique" of Boileau, in
particular things such as:
"What is conceived well is expressed clearly."
or
"No one who cannot limit himself has ever been able to write." (uh,
perhaps time I stop my rant).

I dream that Oracle products get a stamp of approval from Steve Jobs
before being released.

--
Stephane Faroult
RoughSea Ltd <http://www.roughsea.com>