Re: Oracle Vs Sybase

  • From: "GovindanK" <gkatteri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DGUPTA@xxxxxxxxxxx, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:38:15 -0700

AFAIK

1. Sybase is case sensitive (eg) tables EMP ^= Emp ^= emp; Applies to
Column names too.
2. More so, i don't find the equivalent of AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION in
Sybase. May be someone else has.
3. Date formats 'look' different
4. Oracle Single Quote = Sybase Double Quote
5. You can do something like this in Sybase SQL (though  i am not sure
of the syntax)
   (IF Contraint EXISTS THEN
       DROP CONSTRAINT my_constraint;
    END IF
   )
   GO
6. You have BEGIN TRANSCTION --> END TRANSACTION. More on this you can
refer to Sybase materials.

HTH

GovindanK