RE: "!" Not Copied in DB2

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nagaraj.chk@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:51:24 -0500

That does seem strange. Exclamation point exists in both ASCII-7 and EBCDIC,
so the mapping of ! from from pretty much any Oracle implementation to
pretty much any DB2 implementation should be trivial.

Going the other direction there may be some confusion mapping the long
vertical bar because while ASCII 7-bit has a vertical bar, it does not have
a long vertical bar. Some folks mapped the long vertical bar from EBCDIC to
the vertical bar in ASCII 7 to get a printable character. But there should
be no such problems with an exclamation point.

Charts for ASCII in 8 bits do list the two different vertical bars, so if
you're using a character set with at least 8 bit representation of the
characters there should be no intractable problem.

Apart from a bug in the utility, I guess I would check the NLS parameters
and character sets defined for both database servers and the client sessions
involved to see whether an explanation pops up from that.

As for validation, It seems to me you would want to build a table containing
a row for each character that is legal in your source database character set
with columns being the character and a textual description of the character.

The tool works for your conversion when it gets all the possibilities
correct. Lots of problems have no reasonable enumerative test, but when
there is one that is the effective thing to use.

mwf

  _____