My opinion about Millsap's book

  • From: "Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco" <jreyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:29:37 -0400

I was not going to buy that book, because I thought it was another book more
 covering all about performance, but nothing in special.
I read few comments in amazon and I didn't found nothing special.

When I saw his book name in tom kyte's list I decided to test, because Tom
is a serious person, he was not going to put his book in his list only
because he is his friend.

What I found is a very specialized book.

the title should be something like "conclusion from 15 years on tuning
investigation"

The book have

An overview on tuning
An explanation why trace files are better than other method,
why he don't invested time in tuning through global views or other methods.
He has a long a deep analysis of interpretation from trace files.
He has a statistical method, very very interesting to give to CEO's to
demostrate several tuning problems.

What it don't have.
It don't have a global an comparitve analysis showing advantages and
disadvantages of all tuning methods oracle has.
you definitively will hve to buy his product Hotsos profiler (unless you are
thinking in do it by your self) to put in practices the trace analysis he
suggests.

Complaint
I don't know why hotsos store don't ansewr my request of this product, I
understand they don't sell to specific countries or people, but at least
they will have to take the time to explain that. I send several emails and
receive no answer.

Who should read this book
My opinion is the following
If you are an expert who knows all in that book, you should read because it
shares his own investigations on tuning.
If you are a dba with some experience definetively have to buy it.
if you are a newbie you have to buy it and read after the tuning oracle
manuals.

If you don't buy you lose it.

This is the only book I could say you have to read with Oracle documentation
 because it adds something very important that is not in the documentation.

Congratulations Millsap for your excellent job.

Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco
OCP