RE: Long term AWR retention

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dackoc@xxxxxxxxx>, <mark.teehan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:41:43 -0400

Lots of good insights and responses in this thread. But I have a question:

Why do so few people copy database metric data to a non-production machine?
(And AWR is just a start.)

Shouldn't every DBA and/or DBA team have a DBA's data warehouse? Why use
production cpu cycles to analyze anything but real time or near real time
concerns?

Why wonder about year-over-year trends when you can know? Wouldn't improved
ability to make a capacity plan based on actual data more than pay for any
associated costs?

mwf

  _____