RE: Large ASM installation

  • From: "Randy Johnson" <oraclelist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:02:06 -0500

Hi Daniel,
I've been using ASM for the past 5 years (since 10.2). I've had very good
experience with it on all sizes of databases ranging from multi gigabytes to
multi terabytes and I'm a big fan. I've read the posts by Rui and Mark and
they did a good job of calling out the pros/cons of ASM over file system
storage. Here's my $.02:

  - As you add disk space to ASM, data from all drives is rebalanced
    evenly across the new drives. This provides consistent performance
    over time. That is, all spindles engaged to service IO requests.
    If you think about how storage is allocated for file
    systems, your most current data is always on the more recently
    added disks (or LUNs). Assuming most database IO is directed
    at "current data" you can see how disks containing old data would
    lightly utilized while the newer LUN's would service a majority of
    the IO.

  - Moving to ASM storage means you will have to use Recovery Manager
    for database backups. I'll qualify that statement by acknowledging
    that you can still use SAN features to split off copies of the
    entire ASM diskgroups. Being forced to use Rman is not a bad thing.
    Rman is a very capable tool for handling your backup and recovery
    needs. But if you are not using it currently your staff will need
    to learn it.

  - You should involve your system administrators in configuring the LUN's
    for ASM one of the most common errors in an ASM environment is SA's
    reusing your ASM LUN's for file systems (thinking that since they
    don't have a file system on them they arent being used).