Is this hardware issue?

  • From: Ram K <lambu999@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:13:43 -0500

List,

We are moving our stuff from old hardware to a new hardware. I am observing
these results in our new test hardware env: we run a query in the new test
env, it runs slow first time it is run. It takes about 6/8 minutes. Once the
query is run once, if it is ran again, it comes with results in matter of
seconds. This happens a few times and then I flush the buffer cache or
bounce the DB and rerun the query, the response time goes back to 7/8
minutes and the subsequent responses are in matter of seconds. I was able to
repeat this behavior a few days. I ran the 10046 and checked the plans. The
plans in both cases are same. The increased wait seemed to come from waiting
longer for the same "db file sequential read" event. Could this point to
hardware issues, like I/O or VIO?

No other user is using the database when I do this test, v10.2. OS is AIX,
disks on Clarion SAN. Although there are couple of other databases running
in this test server, there is no load from them in terms of CPU or memory. I
tested in during normal hours, after hours when no one uses any of the DBs
in the server. The results are consistent.

--
Thanks,
Ram.