Re: How to store 50 Terabytes per day?

  • From: Peter Gram <peter.gram@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GLeonard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:26:50 +0200

George

Here it RAC could help since the redo logs are local to the RAC
instance. :-)

/peter

Leonard, George wrote:

>Strangely enough I think the actual data space is not the problem here,
>
>Your problem will be the redo logs, giving them fast enough discs to
>keep up with the data coming in and the same for archive logs (space and
>speed), having enough space for 1 or 2 days worth and speed t keep up
>with the redo log switching, then a big enough tape system to archive
>the archive logs and to backup changed blocks.
>
>Thing is to put the total space together is just discs and controllers
>and a lot of funky striping sets and to have the cpu power is multiple
>HP's running either UX or Linux or maybe a big Dell cluster.
>
>Every time I worked on a high performance system I always seem to run
>into redo log writing speed not being sufficient, being the final
>bottleneck... but then this all is a factor of the budget size but def
>doable I am sure.
>

>George
>=20________________________________________________
>George Leonard
>Oracle Database Administrator
>New Dawn Technologies @ Wesbank
>E-mail:gleonard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>=20
>You Have The Obligation to Inform One Honestly of the risk, And As a
>Person
>You Are Committed to Educate Yourself to the Total Risk In Any Activity!
>Once Informed & Totally Aware of the Risk,
>Every Fool Has the Right to Kill or Injure Themselves as They See Fit!
>=20

Best regards / Venlig hilsen

/*Peter Gram*/
Miracle A/S <http://www.miracleas.dk>
Kratvej 2
DK - 2760 Måløv

Cell:  (+45) 2527 7107
Phone: (+45) 4466 8855
Fax:   (+45) 4466 8856
Home:  (+45) 3874 5696
Skype:  peter_gram
Email: peter.gram@xxxxxxxxxxxx

 17 Sep 2004     DECUS-fest i Pederstrup
 18-20 Oct 2004          RAC-kursus med Jonathan Lewis
 29 oct 2004     Special SQLserver day with Kimberly Tripp at DBF,Lalandia
 28-30 Oct 2004          The Last Database Forum at Lalandia
<http://miracleas.dk/events/DBF2004/invitation.html>
 22-24 Nov 2004          RMAN-kursus med Tuomas Pystynen
 17-19 Jan 2005          Miracle Master Class with Tim Gorman
 28 feb - 2.mar 2005     Database Master Class with Chris Date
 2-4 May 2005    SQL Server Master Class with Kimberly Tripp

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: peter.gram.vcf