RE: How much RAM is to much

  • From: "CRISLER, JON A (ATTCORP)" <JC1706@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <gajav@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:30:19 -0500

Also agree-  putting aside ASM and only talking about filesystems, you
need to make sure the filesystem supports direct_io.  You can set it on
the database and I think no error is returned if the filesystem does not
support direct io.

On linux, filesystem cache behavior and swappiness can be controlled via
the /etc/sysctl.conf file or sysctl commands.  But I am not sure you can
set an upper limit to cache size- if you can then I don't know how.