Re: Have you considered PostgreSQL? (This is not a troll)

  • From: Ray Stell <stellr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 15:38:15 -0500

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:59:00AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> 2. Are you using PostgreSQL + Oracle?

I have both in production.  Oracle Corp pricing makes our CIO's
neck veins bulge.  For our locally grown apps, pg does everything we need
including standby db.  pg also rides under some of our mgmt apps
from cisco and atlassian.

> held back a lot of Oracle migrations is PostgreSQL's lack of support for
> packages.

If we did not have third party software claws in us we would convert
completely to pg, I have no doubt.  Our financials are own3d by
http://www.sungard.com/ and they do not support pg.  We are not running
RAC, we don't need to scale that big, but we couldn't pay for it if we
needed to and that is likely a gate for many here.