HOW TO: Mail containing multilingual text from database

  • From: "Suneet" <suneet.madhok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:48:01 +0530

Hi List,

How do we send data in multilingual format via mails in Oracle?

A  scheduled backend job has to generate mail with data fetched from db
tables containing multilingual text.
A procedure is called that pulls data from tables, does some calculations
and then generates a message body text. This text contains multilingual
characters. Have tried using utl_tcp,  utl_smtp but couldnt get it done.

I got OUTLOOK as mail client. Now when i recieve mails sent via db procedure
implementing utl_tcp, i see junk characters. What could be the problem here?
How do i identify whether its a problem in sending mail through backend or
there is some setting in  OUTLOOK that i've to do.

Database Settings:
Ver =  9.2.0.1.0
NLS_CHARACTERSET = AL32UTF8
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = AL16UTF16

Outlook settings:
OUTLOOK -> Tools -> Options -> Mail Format -> International Options ->
Use this encoding for unmarked received messages: Unicode (UTF-8)

Any pointers..??

Thnx
Suneet