RE: Dead Connect detect

  • From: "Jorgensen, Finn" <Finn.Jorgensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 10:07:03 -0400

Dick,

Gwen Shapira did a presentation at Hotsos 2011 that involved this type of
scenario. 2 of the proposed solutions were as follows (copy and paste from her
presentation) :

Another solution will be to modify kernel parameter net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time
to a value lower than the firewall timeout values. This should give the TCP
keepalive a chance to keep the connection alive.
A third solution can be to use SQLNET keep-alive parameter
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME that allows Oracle to send its own keep-alive probes
from the server to the client, normally sent every 10 minutes. These probes will
also keep the connection a live and not allow the firewall to disconnect it.

Thanks,
Finn